Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Apple Cris...

I know you're waiting for the "P" in Crisp, but my 3 year old excitedly asked me for Apple Cris! so there you have it. I fixed a variation on an old fav that I found in a Kraft magazine I had tucked in the archives. The variation is adding crushed Vanilla Wafers to the topping. It gives this baked apple dessert some much needed spunk. It's quick, easy and I polished the rest off for breakfast.

Here's the recipe for you to enjoy as well:


8 large Granny Smith apples (2 lb.), peeled, thinly sliced
1/2 cup packed brown sugar, divided
2 tsp. ground cinnamon, divided
1/3 cup old-fashioned or quick-cooking oats
1/4 cup (1/2 stick) cold margarine
25 Vanilla Wafers, crushed (but not pulverized!)- about 1 cup crumbs

HEAT oven to 350°F.
TOSS apples with 1/4 cup sugar and 1 tsp. cinnamon. Spoon into 8- or 9-inch square baking dish.
COMBINE oats, remaining brown sugar and cinnamon in medium bowl. Cut in margarine with pastry blender or 2 knives until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in wafer crumbs; sprinkle over apples.
BAKE 30 to 35 min. or until apples are tender. Serve warm or cold and vanilla ice cream adds extra delicious calories. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment