Monday, April 19, 2010

Brussels Sprouts?!

You'll pass out cold when you hear what I'm enjoying as a mid-morning snack. Brussels Spouts. Yes, you read correctly. I branched out in the vegetable world and have uncovered a hidden gem that has incorrectly been labeled for generations as inedible and disgusting. I've never eaten them before - not ever. Perhaps in part due to the persona that has shrouded them. I realized I couldn't base my like or dislike of a dish based on someone else's opinion - I had to try them for myself.

I received a Southern Living Cookbook for Christmas and was paging through it the other day. I thrive on pictures to help me with recipes. Nice full page colorful pictures enhance the recipes brilliantly. I should adopt that method for my blog. Noted. Anyway, a beautiful picture of brussels sprouts adorned a glossy page, paired with an equally impressive caption on how all of the Southern Living Staff felt this dish was better than green beans and how they enjoyed them immensley. I was sold. I roasted them in olive oil and then poured an almond garlic butter over them and I have to say, I'm hooked. The sprouts will be a recurrence for certain.

This week I'm fixing some fun dishes - BBQ Chicken Nachos, Monte Cristo Sandwiches and the rest escapes me as I can't stop thinking about these amazing Hot Italian Sandwiches I made over the weekend that were such a hit, we ate them two nights in a row for dinner. Layers of provolone, pepperoni, salami and mozzarella all melted on a toasted sesame seed loaf and then dipped in marinara. I'm trying to figure out who to invite over next to fix these for. Too good!

Have a great week ahead and may your culinary adventures be successful ones.

3 comments:

  1. I volunteer to come over and try your sandwiches! :) Love your blog! Janelle

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Janelle! The sandwiches are delish - right up your alley. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You know, I don't think I've ever tried brussel sprouts. That almond garlic oil sounds delicious, anything that has garlic in it sounds delicious to me.
    Halia

    ReplyDelete