Thursday, April 29, 2010

Clepto overlooks Rev. Jesse Jackson for Pastry

Yesterday I worked at the annual Shareholder’s Meeting held by my company. I had the oh-so-important-and-glamorous responsibility of distributing agenda packets. It takes a Rocket Scientist, mind you – not everyone can do this. So, there I am, distributing away, when I’m blindsided by a photographer. With 3 cameras around her neck, she thinks I’m photo worthy and I strike a model pose in my black power suit, while sporting the white agenda packets. Hilarious that of the CEOs and celebs that attend this meeting, I am the one that is photographed.

Then in walks the Rev. Jesse Jackson. Let me back up one quick moment to let you know there are approximately 5 stations of fresh Pastries surrounding me in my distribution endeavor. Scones, Danish in every flavor…and Chocolate Filled Croissants. Say no more. I can barely concentrate on the task at hand due to the delicious appearance of these mouthwatering delights. I hope I get to try one.

Mr. Jackson is standing two feet away from me, the photographer is now photographing the two of us and I just want to eat a Pastry. Finally, the meeting kicks off and I am all but left alone in the large expansive lobby with 5 unmanned stations of Pastries. I grab a Chocolate Filled Croissant and go hide in a corner to enjoy. It’s amazing – the rich, flakey, buttery croissant is enrobed in chocolate drizzle…with more chocolate decadence in the center. I’m licking my fingers, thinking that due to it being on the small side, I could get away with eating just one more – so I do. I’m polishing off the second Chocolate Croissant when I set eyes on the Apple Filled Danish. If there’s one thing I simply cannot turn down, it’s an Apple Danish. Keep the Cherry, Blueberry, Lemon and Cream Cheese – just save me an Apple Danish and no one gets hurt. I enjoy every bite and gazing quickly around, pop another Chocolate Filled Croissant in my purse for good measure. You never know when you’re going to be stranded on a desert island with nothing to eat. I was merely taking precautionary measures.

After a few minutes, all of the Pastries are whisked away and replaced with jumbo sized Cookies of every variety. White Chocolate Macadamia Nut, Oatmeal Raisin, Lemon Poppy Seed…and the tried and true favorite: Chocolate Chunk. I grab one of those and am hopelessly disappointed. It was just a mediocre Cookie - not even worthy of popping an extra into my purse for when I’m on that desert island. Sigh….well, thankfully there are also piles and mounds of full size Candy Bars, Power bars, Clif Bars, Oreos and Hershey Kisses.

I know what you’re thinking. Yes, I grabbed a small sampling, and called it a day. And just to save face from all of you thinking I’m a wild cleptomaniac (which I am), I gave the Croissant to my son for breakfast this morning. The chocolate smeared face and fingers were worth the clepto efforts on my behalf. I know I gave the undercover security something to laugh about yesterday.

Have a delicious day!

No comments:

Post a Comment