Friday, April 23, 2010

Lemony Snicket

It's a gorgeous sunny day outside, the perfect temperature and to put a cherry on the cake: it's FRIDAY. Probably my most ancipated day of the week. I have a weekend of retail therapy and family time all planned out and I can't wait.

I'm thinking about Jerk Chicken Kabobs for dinner and trying to come up with a valid excuse to make Chocolate Covered Peanut Butter Cheescake Bites. But, does one really need a VALID excuse to make Cheesecake - ever? I think any excuse will do.

I'm also considering Lemon Bars. It's the quintessential southern dessert that pairs well with any food item at any gathering at any time of the year. Lemon bars are quite possibly the most wonderful citrus dessert I've ever put in my mouth. I might be ranking them above Key Lime Pie, if you can imagine. I blink and 5 of them are gone. It's almost embarrassing.

I have a dear friend who loves them as much as I do and whenever she makes them - I always get my own plateful to take home and enjoy. They don't last long and I refuse to share them. I love lemon bars that much. This dear friend has selflessly been taking care of her aging parents and her father went to Heaven this week. So dear Lynne, this post is dedicated to you - the next Lemon Bar is on me...


Lemon Bars Deluxe (Mountain Measures - Charleston, WV)
2 1/4 c. all purpose flour
1/2 c. confectioners' sugar, plus more for sprinkling
2 sticks of butter
4 beaten eggs
2 c. granulated sugar
1/3 c. fresh lemon juice
1/2 t. baking powder

Preheat oven to 350 and whisk 2 cups of the flour with the confectioners sugar. Cut in the butter until the mixture clings together. Press the dough into a 9x13 baking dish. Bake for 20 minutes or until lightly browned.
Beat together the eggs, granulated sugar and lemon juice. Mix the remaining 1/4 cup of flour with the baking powder, stir into egg mixture and pour over the hot baked crust. Bake for 25 minutes and remove from the oven. Sprinkle with confectioners sugar once they are cooled a bit. If you cut them into 1.5 inch squares, you'll have 30. If you cut them into slabs like I do, you'll need to make one batch for you and one for the real occasion your making them for.

I hope you enjoy them as much as I do. Have a delicious weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment