Happy Good Friday! I just polished of a two-portioned size piece of peanutbutter pie and am looking forward to the weekend. I have my best friend's birthday party tonight, am having family over for dinner tomorrow night and a massive lunch at my in-laws on Sunday after church. Lots of fun things to look forward to and of course I have my culinary hand in each event.
I unfortunately cannot divulge my foodie involvement for tonight's festivies, as the birthday girl is still in the dark about her milestone birthday party, so I'll jump into tomorrow night's menu. My sister in law is flying in and bringing her newest boyfriend to meet the fam. I'm making lettuce wraps. If you've ever graced a PF Changs, you've surely ordered this hit appetizer. We enjoy it so much, I'm serving it as an entree with an Asian Slaw Salad on the side. Should our guest not like it - well, it will be a sign and we can just fly him back home so my sister can find another fish in the sea. :)
Here is the recipe and let me also highlight that this is great for those who suffer from Celiac and have to adhere to a gluten free diet. My friend and coworker gave me a special request, and I promised her a blog post on something delicious and gluten free - so here you go!
3 tablespoons oil
2 boneless skinless chicken breasts (Ha! Do you think I have enough chicken in my freezer? :) )
1 cup water chestnuts
2/3 cup mushroom
3 tablespoons chopped onions
1 teaspoon minced garlic
4-5 leaves boston bibb or iceberg lettuce (I prefer boston bibb, as iceberg doesn't agree w/me)
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup water
2 tablespoons soy sauce
2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
2 tablespoons ketchup
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1/8 teaspoon sesame oil
1 tablespoon hot mustard (dijon)
2 teaspoons water
1-2 teaspoon garlic and red chile paste
Stir Fry Sauce
2 tablespoons soy sauce (watch the label on gluten for this ingredient!!!)
2 tablespoons brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon rice wine vinegar
1. Make the special sauce by dissolving the sugar in water in a small bowl.
2. Add soy sauce, rice wine vinegar, ketchup, lemon juice and sesame oil.
3. Mix well and refrigerate this sauce until you're ready to serve.
4. Combine the hot water with the hot mustard and set this aside as well.
5. Eventually add your desired measurement of mustard and garlic chili sauce to the special sauce mixture to pour over the wraps.
6. Bring oil to high heat in a wok or large frying pan.
7. Saute chicken breasts for 4 to 5 minutes per side or done.
8. Remove chicken 8Remove chicken from the pan and cool.
9. Keep oil in the pan, keep hot.
10. As chicken cools mince water chestnuts and mushrooms to about the size of small peas.
11. Prepare the stir fry sauce by mixing the soy sauce, brown sugar, and rice vinegar together in a small bowl.
12. When chicken is cool, mince it as the mushrooms and water chestnuts are.
13. With the pan still on high heat, add another Tbsp of vegetable oil.
14. Add chicken, garlic, onions, water chestnuts and mushrooms to the pan.
15. Add the stir fry sauce to the pan and saute the mixture for a couple minutes then serve it in the lettuce"cups".
16. Top with"Special Sauce". (Thank you www.recipezaar.com!)
For Sunday, I'm bringing a side item and a salad. The later will be easy, the former is still undecided - I'm feeling rather Ratatouille-ish right now, so we'll see.
I hope you have a wonderful Easter, and remember: it's more than lots of candy and egg hunts in your backyard - it's about a CROSS.