Friday, May 21, 2010

From Cora to Edna Mae

Since it’s Friday, I’m taking a virtual vacation – would you like to join me? Let’s go to Montreal. I’ve been to this charming city in Canada on several occasions and highly recommend it if you’re looking for a new vacation spot. You feel like you’ve been transported to Europe, yet are just a few hours over the American/Canadian border. The architecture is old world European style – buildings older than our country with character and history oozing from every corner. The food is eclectic and fabulous with street performers in wide open squares, gorgeous fountains where brides can be seen getting portraits made at any time of day, and you’ll leave from shopping at the boutiques and malls with an entire new wardrobe in chic European flair. I’m ready to go back!

On my first trip there, I stumbled upon a breakfast eatery that was as visually fun and delicious as the food I ordered. The name is Cora’s and they specialize in Crepes (www.chezcora.com). Both savory and sweet, you can find something to please everyone and their crepes are fabulous. So much so, that I left pondering the opportunity to open a franchise in the states. It would be an overnight success, but I’m just not up for the restaurant business at this point in my life.

After eating one of their enormous crepes, you’re smitten and will forever develop a love and craving for this light, pancake-like delicacy. Fill it with strawberries and whipped cream, or choose Nutella – you can’t make a wrong choice when it comes to crepes. I’ve even gone so far as to use crepes in a lasagna type savory entrée, and while it took half of my life to make enough crepes to make the dish, it definitely got the ‘fix again’ stamp of approval notation next to the recipe. In my opinion, we don’t have enough opportunities to enjoy these tasty treats…until now.

My friend Amy told me this week about a pancake dinner she was enjoying that night with her friends and family, using a pancake recipe that she likened unto a crepe. My curiosity was peaked and I snagged the recipe and proclaimed last night a breakfast night so I could try these pancakes for myself.

Knowing my husband enjoys high protein content with every meal, I added scrambled eggs with cheese and a side of bacon to accompany my pancakes. After mixing the batter and making the pancakes in my (you guessed it) cast iron skillet, I am hooked. I found the recipe ridiculously easy. The end result was a platter of pancakes that were as light as a crepe – though not quite as thin, and a flavor that rivals anything your mother, grandmother or favorite aunt even attempted. I don’t care if they even won an award for their pancakes – these are the best and trump them.

Here is the recipe, as I know you’re dying to fix them for breakfast tomorrow morning.

The recipe is courtesy of Ree Drummond’s Mother In Law. I hope you enjoy them as much as we do!

Edna Mae’s Sour Cream Pancakes
(This recipe makes approximately 8-9 pancakes, 5 inches in size)

7 tablespoons all purpose flour
1 tablespoon sugar
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/ 2 teaspoon salt
1 cup sour cream
2 large eggs
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
Butter
Maple syrup

Heat a cast iron skillet or griddle over medium-low heat.

Stir the flour, sugar, baking soda and salt together in the bottom of a medium bowl. Add the sour cream in and stir it together very gently. Whisk the eggs and vanilla in a separate bowl and stir them into the sour cream mixture.

You can either melt a tablespoon of butter in your skillet or some canola oil and pour the batter in, a 1/4 cup at a time. Cook for about 2 minutes on the first side, or until bubbles appear all over them, flipping carefully and cooking for about a minute on the other side. Repeat with remaining batter.

Serve in a stack, topped with butter and your favorite syrup (ours happens to be Mrs. Buttersworth). Watch them disappear off your plate - they are marvelous.

Have a delicious weekend!

1 comment:

  1. So glad you liked it! Isn't a funny recipe with only 7 Tbsp. flour? Yea for new favorites!

    ReplyDelete