Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Sometimes "Life Happens"

It's just hours away from the close of another Super Doubles coupon week at my local grocery store. I couldn't have done a lousier job at saving money this round. Life has been crazy busy and I have stacks and piles of coupons screaming to be clipped, many have expired and none of them are filed in any semblance of order. I'm a mess! I pulled a bunch that might work and set sail in the grocery store without a list (mistake) two different days and while I saved $40ish - I overspent. But I needed most of the things on the list, so what is one to do? (Ok, so I didn't NEED the Kalamata Olives - but the olive bar had them pitted! And the Sundried Tomatoes and Roasted Red Peppers were also a splurge, but we are approaching a holiday weekend.) Chalk this one up to "Life Happens". I'm not going to beat myself up over it. Rather, I'll forget portion control on the double batch of Tapioca pudding I made the other night.

I find that I have the noblest of intentions, but they don't always pan out. For instance - today starts the last week of preschool. My one son takes a tumbling class (today is the last one) and I thought, how nice would it be to give each of the 6 instructors an appreciation card and perhaps some baked goods? Well, it would be wonderful - except I went to the grocery store to get the ingredients right before dinner time in the pouring rain, shoved the free cookies by the deli department at my children to keep them quiet and by the time I got home, was stressed, looked like a drowned rat and my kids weren't hungry for dinner because of the 40 cookies a piece they'd eaten in the store. By the time they were in bed and I had a free minute to even think about baking, I was so tired I almost fell asleep watching Jack Bauer limp off of sattelite while Chloe cried and the Lady President stepped down. "I'll bake the cookies in the morning", was my last thought before drifting off.

My morning started at 4am with a crying infant that literally woke up the entire house, and he felt the need to cry for the next two hours. It was a miracle we even got everyone dressed and peanut butter and jelly sandwiches made in time for school. Cookies - what cookies? Did I say I was baking cookies? Sorry tumbling class ladies - it's not that I didn't want to. Sometimes "Life Happens."

I guess the "Super Mom" cape needs to be drycleaned every now and then, we can't win 'em all. And speaking of drycleaners - don't send your husband's expensive 'non-iron' shirts to the drycleaners. It messes up the 'non-iron' part of the shirt and they will forever be changed. Not that I would know anything about this. Gracious - is it only Tuesday? Life definately happens.

2 comments:

  1. I'm right there with you - except I thought the last tumbling class was last week! I always thought I was organized, until I had kids. Now I know that I'm hopeless in that area, though it hasn't stopped me from making a resolution to be more detail-focused. Although I'm pretty sure I made that resolution last month when I forgot Hat Day at school . . .

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I'm glad I'm not the only one! :)

    ReplyDelete