Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Just Peachy

Fresh Peaches - I simply can't get enough of them. They are by far my favorite fruit. I'm convinced I could exist on nothing but Peaches, and my family is not far off either. If I could have a grove of this amazing sweet deliciousness in my backyard, it would be pure bliss. In fact, I'm attempting a hillbilly grove by letting my son launch the pits off our back deck into our wilderness of a backyard. Maybe something will grow out of them, who knows? In the mean time, I'll let the folks at the farmer's market and local produce stands get to know me by name as I frequent them so often for tomatoes and peaches. Living in the South, we have the benefit of South Carolina and Georgia Peaches and they are so sweet and delicious - you just want to eat your weight in them.

I recently fixed a grilled peach dessert that was a smashing success. It was a twist I took from a recipe they ran in the Sunday paper. Here's my version:

Grilled Peaches a la Mode (serves 6)

Ingredients
6 ripe Peaches, pits removed (thrown into my backyard), fruit cut into 8ths
1/2 stick of Butter, cut into small pieces
8 T. Brown Sugar
1 t. ground Cinnamon
Vanilla Ice Cream
Caramel Sauce

Directions
Heat your grill to Medium.
Cut six 12 inch squares of aluminum foil. Divide the peaches onto the foil squares - I allow one peach per square.
Combine butter, brown sugar and cinnamon in a bowl and then sprinkle it over each peach.
Fold the foil to seal into individual packets.
Place the packets on the grill and cover. Cook until the peaches are soft and the butter/sugar mixture has melted - about 15 minutes.
Remove from the heat and allow to sit while you prepare the icecream.
Place one large scoop of ice cream in each of 6 ramekins. (If you don't have ramekins, you're missing out. Go to Sur la Table right now and buy them - don't worry, I'll wait. Did you get them? Ok good.)
Top each icecrem filled ramekin with one peach packet and drizzle with the caramel sauce.
You'll be licking your ramekin clean enough to put back in the cabinet - it's that good.

The great thing is, this pairs perfectly with a night you've chosen to grill burgers or hotdogs or chicken. The dessert can cook while you're eating your main dish. I hope you enjoy it as much as my family did!

Have a delicious day!

No comments:

Post a Comment