Wednesday, June 23, 2010

No to Sushi - yes to Chicken Casserole!

I had my mouth set for some delicious sushi today and went to a favorite old haunt - Cosmos. I used to love their Tuesday special. Being that today is Wednesday might be part of the problem. I found today's sushi more like yesterday's leftovers - which for sushi is not exactly what you're going for. The tuna looked and tasted more like Spam (trust me - my grandmother used to try and hide it in something called "Ham Salad" - I shiver at the thought). My four rolls were lukewarm and lacked freshness and flavor. Not even my chocolate lava cake could redeem this meal, as it tasted like it had been pre-packed and defrosted. Thumbs down on Cosmos. I most likely will not be back.

All is not lost though. It's a beautiful summer day and I believe the count is day 12 of our heat wave. With temperatures in the mid to upper 90's and humidity soaring, I'm grateful for my airconditioning. Since we're officially in the 3rd day of Summer, we've been living it up and taking advantage of time at the pool, turning on the sprinkler in the front yard to run through it, staying up late to eat ice cream or fresh sliced peaches and read children's books we've gotten at the library. My 3 year old is having a blast attending Vacation Bible School (VBS) at our church - life is blessed. Our family is enjoying the 'moments' in life - I hope you will be able to do some of the same. Those 'moments' make some of the best memories.

Yesterday I was asked to make a chicken casserole for a funeral at my church. I looked at a bunch of recipes, then decided to 'wing-it' and fix my own version. It tasted so delicious and was so easy, I'll be making one for our dinner tonight. Here's one to add to your Quick Meal List.

Easy Chicken and Rice Casserole

Ingredients
3-4 chicken breasts, boiled and shredded (shredding to me is better than cubing - try it, you'll be hooked too)
3/4 cup sour cream
1 regular sized can cream of chicken soup
1 box of Zatarin's chicken flavored rice (follow directions on box)
Garlic salt and pepper to taste

Instructions
Boil your chicken the same time you're cooking the rice (separate saucepans of course). It takes about 25 minutes for each and is a great multi-task. Combine the cooked, shredded chicken with the sour cream and soup, stir in the rice. I add a bit of the chicken broth that I boiled the chicken in to make it a bit more 'saucey'. Add your rice and salt and pepper and plop it all into a medium sized casserole dish. Place in oven to heat through - 350 degrees for about 20 minutes.

To fancy it up a bit, I sprinkled some dried stuffing mix I had with a few tablespoons of butter on the top. It's not necessary, but was a fun little add. It's simple and delicious - a good home cooked meal. You could pair this with a side salad and some green beans. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment