Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Tomato Basil Tart

Foodie friends, I'm letting out a sigh of relief. The electricity finally came back on at my home and I've just retrieved the last of my refrigerator and freezer contents from my in laws. I've never been happier to put away groceries.

I've received so many requests for the tomato basil tart that I took to that potluck last Friday that I'm going to share it with all of you. Once again, if only I'd taken a picture! This is a savory dish best served as a side to a main dish. It's not hard to make and best when you are in the height of tomato season. Special thanks to Doris Parker for this recipe.

This will wow your friends and family and give you instant foodie status:

Tomato Basil Tart

Ingredients
9 inch regular pie crust, unbaked
1.5 cups of shredded mozzarella cheese
4 medium sized ripe red tomatoes
1 cup of loosely packed fresh basil leaves
4 cloves of garlic
1/2 cup of mayonnaise
1/4 cup of grated Parmesan cheese
1/8 teaspoon pepper (the original recipe calls for white pepper - but no one has that - so use black)

Directions
Preheat your oven to 375 degrees
Bake the pie crust for 8 minutes (I decided to use my pie weights so the crust wouldn't bubble up. I won't be doing this again - how monotonous to pick up 100 hot little ceramic balls out of a half baked crust!)
Remove crust from the oven and sprinkle about half of the mozzarella cheese on the bottom of the crust.
Cut your tomatoes into wedges and drain them on paper towels for a few minutes (this helps keep your tart from being a mushy mess)
Sprinkle salt and pepper over the tomatoes and arrange them on top of the mozzarella in the baked crust
In a food processor, combine the basil and garlic until they are coarsely chopped (we're not making pesto here - so don't go nuts)
Sprinkle the basil and garlic over the tomatoes
In a medium bowl, combine the remaining mozzarella, mayonnaise, Parmesan cheese and pepper.
Spoon cheese mixture over basil mixture (I do this by spooning it in glops - it's not the easiest to spread over the entire tart - so glops are fine).
I sprinkle a bit more Parmesan cheese over the top for fun.
Bake for 35 to 40 minutes or until the top is golden and bubbly.

Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. Sounds yummy and easy. May make it to my bunco party on Friday night

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you enjoy it as much as we do Julie - let me know how it turns out! :)

    ReplyDelete