Thursday, July 29, 2010

It's Carmel Crunchy Day!

It was a virtual fiesta of carbs in my pantry. What to do with so many boxes of cereal, pretzels and nuts? Clearly I'd been hitting some amazing sales and using coupons wisely, but they weren't being gobbled as quickly as I hoped...and of course, in the excitement of life in general around our house, ALL of the boxes and bags and packages and tins were opened. Why would we possibly ever want to open one thing and consume it entirely before opening another?! To avoid anything going stale, I made Snack Mix that seemingly disappeared in 2 days with lots of help from family munching, grazing, craving, sneaking and snacking.
Think carmel corn with out the corn...it's a sweet, salty, crispy, crunchy, tasty treat that everyone will enjoy.

Here's the scoop: Make this carmel corn-like coating and pour it on just about anything and it will transform a mundane pretzel into a party all its own. Bake it for 25 minutes and Ta-DAAA! You're done. Now, for you over achievers who are already thinking about Christmas, tuck this recipe away as it would be a great addition to a teacher's gift - package it in a snazzy way though, who wants to be the dork parent!? I like to make stuff like this around the holidays and it just so happens that I named today a holiday - so THERE! Happy Carmel Crunchy Day!

The ingredients to the blissful glaze of sugary wonder:
  • 3/4 cup brown sugar
  • 1 stick of butter
  • 3 tablespoons of corn syrup (I used dark as that was what was in my pantry)
  • 2 pinches of salt
Combine all of these ingredients in a saucepan (as I have pictured above). On medium heat, bring it to a boil for several minutes.

Remove it from the heat and then add:
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda

Now, for the ingredients in which to pour that sugary glaze over...raid the pantry!

  • 4 cups Bugles
  • 5 cups rice cereal
  • 2 cups pretzels
  • 1 cup (or two - who's counting?) Cheerios
  • 1 cup pecans
  • 1 cup peanuts
  • 1 cup cashews

Pour the glaze over the snack mix and stir to distribute and coat evenly. Spread the mixture on foil on a large cookie sheet and bake at 375 degrees for approximately 20-25 minutes.

Cool completely and store in a container with a tight fitting lid so you have enough time to catch your children sneaking the snack before the lid is off and contents devoured. Enjoy!

Finished Product - I should make this my walpaper on my computer screen.



Have a delicious day!

1 comment:

  1. This is brilliant! I always have all kind of boxes and bags open at once...I am definitely going to try this one! Thanks for the great idea!

    ReplyDelete