Monday, July 26, 2010

Now THAT'S a Steak Sandwich!



Le Tour de France wrapped up this past weekend and the closest I came to it was buying a huge chunk of Brie. We had a trivia contest at work and so thanks to 3 weeks of non-stop trivia questions and my huge desire to win a competition, I became rather saavy on my biking knowledge. We find out tomorrow who won...


I love marinated London Broil and there are dozens of good marinades out there - my prerequisite is making it from scratch, as packets and bottles seem to scream of a preservative taste. I switch up my marinades every time I buy this particular cut of meat, but it always has an oil/vinegar/lemon juice base with a zing of various seasonings. Go Google a few - they're delish! Soaking this thin, lean cut of meat for a long time helps breakdown it's tough reputation. Slap it on the grill for 8 minutes on each side and you have a medium rare slab of possibility.


The possibility I went with was a Steak Sandwich. Slicing the meat across the grain into narrow strips, I toasted several pieces of good bread and Brie. The Brie was melted onto the bread in my trusty toaster oven, topped with the meat, a dab or two of spicey brown mustard and the added flair of leaf lettuce. The rest, was history as the sandwich disappeared before my very eyes. The marinated meat and creaminess of the melted cheese married so well together that my mouth is watering just describing it to you. I felt like I was part of the Peloton, circling the Arc de Triomphe on the Champs-Élysées...only instead of heading to the podium, I would bike straight into a pastry shop.


If you're looking for an escape from the norm, this is an exceptional sandwich that's not too complicated to make.


Have a delicious evening and a great week ahead!

No comments:

Post a Comment