Monday, August 2, 2010

Chavrie Risotto

I love goat cheese but have to admit, my first encounter was on a date and ended up spit out in a napkin. I was young and dumb and hadn't yet matured my taste buds. I ordered a salad at a little California Bistro. I was a teenager wishing I was at least 25 and decided to order a mature dish with a cheese I had never tasted. So much for maturity. The waiter presented me an incredible salad with a goat cheese medallion nestled in the center of field greens. I took a bite and was hating the fact that we had cloth napkins. Who can impress a date when you're spitting the contents of your dinner into a cloth napkin? And then what in the world do you do with your napkin after it has chewed up goat cheese and lettuce in it? Gross. I'll repeat again: young and dumb.


Thankfully I've acquired the taste for this sumptuous cheese and now I crave it. It's creamy texture and sharp taste pair perfectly with a salad or my new favorite risotto recipe! Thanks to my new pals at Chavrie (loved the freebie coupon - thanks guys!) I tried their Chavrie Creamy Risotto as a side to some Chicken Squares I made. WOW is the term that exudes from your mouth. If you're a Risotto fan (which I am) and if you're a Goat Cheese fan (again, sign me up) then this recipe will make you dance the jitterbug. I had never attempted Risotto before, so I had no idea it required so much babysitting - but it's worth the effort when you have extra time for an exotic side dish.


Chavrie ® Creamy Risotto
Prep Time: 5 minutes. Cook Time: 35 minutes. Serves: 6-8 (though I'd say more like 4 servings if you eat like me)

Ingredients
1 pkg. (5.3oz) Chavrie® Basil and Roasted Garlic goat cheese
5 C Chicken stock or broth
1 Tbsp. Olive oil
½ C Minced onion
1 cup Arborio rice
½ C White wine
2 tsp. Flat leaf parsley finely chopped

Instructions

Bring chicken stock to a boil over high heat. Reduce the heat to low and keep warm. Heat olive oil in a thick-bottomed saucepan. Add minced onions and cook until translucent. Pour in the arborio rice, cook for 4 minutes, stirring until well coated. Turn the heat to high and add the white wine, simmer until mostly absorbed.Add the hot stock 1/2 cup at a time, stirring constantly until absorbed by the rice. Continue to add stock 1/2 cup at a time, stirring to release the starch. Check rice for doneness after 18 minutes, rice should be al dente but cooked through. Stir in Italian parsley, and Chavrie®. Season with salt and pepper serve immediately. (And they do mean IMMEDIATELY - leftovers turn into strange clumpiness - but no worries, you'll eat it all in one setting).


I would've taken a picture, but didn't, so imagine tapioca pudding or...Risotto if you're used to dining on it regularly.


Have a delicious day!

No comments:

Post a Comment