Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Burger of Bliss



The other night I was watching the show 'The Best Thing I Ever Ate' on the Foodnetwork and the featured item was a burger. Mind you, we'd already eaten dinner but I sat there salivating all over the couch as Foodnetwork stars told me about their favorite, juiciest, cheesiest, greasiest, spiciest amazing burgers and where in the country to find them. I wanted to go right back into the kitchen and eat all over again.

The next night I providentially had hamburger meat in my refrigerator and told my amazing hubby we were having "Name Your Burger Night" and to pick anything he wanted and we'd make custom burgers. He chose a traditional cheeseburger with spicey fried onions. I chose a cheeseburger with green chilis and spicey fried onions and my two children had the old standby of cheeseburgers with ketchup. No worries, we'll mold those gourmet palates one step at a time!

The spicey fried onions are a recipe from Emeril (oh I could hug him for these onions!) and I typically serve them atop a filet mignon with some blue cheese. Not tonight! They were dancing on top of our burgers with an amazing kick. Think onion rings with tabasco...I'll give you the recipe in a minute - hang on!

The green chilis atop my Burger of Bliss were an idea I gleened from my burger show and as odd as it sounded, I fell IN LOVE with this combination. It was fantastic and an unusual combination that left no doubt in my mind that I had stumbled upon the answer to a lifelong mystery of finding the perfect burger.

Now, here is the spicey fried onion recipe so you can calm down:

One medium sized onion (yellow, white, vidalia - whatever is in your pantry)
5-6 shakes of Tabasco Sauce or Texas Pete
Salt, Pepper, Flour and Vegetable Oil

Heat several teaspoons of oil in a skillet while chopping your onion into rings or longer oniony pieces (blow your nose a few times and wipe the mascara off your face that is now running down your cheeks from crying). The downside to onion slicing and dicing!
Put the onion in a bowl, shake the Tabasco Sauce as liberally as you'd like on the onion - this is the 'glue' that will make the flour adhere to it. Sprinkle some salt and pepper and just enough flour to coat it and toss, stir - do you what you have to in getting these tear jerkers covered.
Toss them in the hot skillet and cook until brown and fabulous. You'll lose your mind over these sensational onions!

Now for a picture of the worlds most delicious burger (according to CC):



Have a delicious day!
CC

1 comment:

  1. This is similar to what is called an Ortega burger. I grew up eating these in California and really loved them. Although your spicy onions add a very special flavor to this classic I am sure. Can't wait to try this on my Wimpy (Ken).... :)

    ReplyDelete