Friday, September 3, 2010

Food fixing frenzie with a side of Lasagna!

With Labor Day weekend beckoning, I have an extra day off and a head brimming with recipes to try. I was in the grocery store the other day, having an afternoon snack in the bakery section. They give you a variety of breads and dips to try so by all means, I had all but pulled up a chair to sample the smorgasboard! There was a jalapeno pimento cheese that I had to exhibit serious self control over, but it was too pricey, so I'm going to make my own. I've also got a dinner I'm attending and have a salad and side to make...and there's a sweet potato recipe I've been dying to try, so that will fill in that blank.

And what is a holiday weekend without a sweet treat or two? I have a peanut encrusted pound cake bite recipe that I've been staring at for months and I just bought a ton of peaches from my favorite fruit stand. If they can last longer than eating them alone, a pie might be calling. Seems like the perfect time to give it all a whirl!

I have set some lofty goals of painting two pieces of furniture and tackling one of those rooms I'm in the midst of redecorating...but let's not completely spin out of control.

You'll be pleased to know my crockpot lasagna was delish! It was a fix it and forget it meal that required minimal prepwork. I literally fixed an entire lasanga in 10 minutes and it was piping hot and ready to be devoured when my husband walked in the door. Per multiple requests, of COURSE I'm sharing (special thanks to my friends at Kraft for the recipe!)




What You Need
1 lb. Ground beef
1 jar (26 oz.) spaghetti sauce (I know - you gasp in utter disbelief but I didn't have any hommade available - it's ok, just don't tell my mother I bought my sauce)
1 cup Water
1 container (15 oz.) Ricotta Cheese
1 pkg. (7 oz.) Shredded Mozzarella Cheese, divided
1/4 cup Grated Parmesan Cheese, divided
1 Egg
2 Tbsp. chopped fresh parsley (once again, I don't have the luxury of an herb garden, so I dug out my Pampered Chef Italian Seasoning and went nuts)
6 Lasagna noodles, uncooked (Whoo hoo! A no boil the noodle option!!!)

Make It
Brown meat in large skillet; drain. Stir in spaghetti sauce and water. Mix ricotta, 1-1/2 cups mozzarella, 2 Tbsp. Parmesan, egg and parsley in separate bowl while browning the meat.

Spoon 1 cup meat sauce into slow cooker; top with layers of half each of the noodles, broken to fit; and cheese mixture. Cover with 2 cups meat sauce. Top with remaining noodles, broken to fit; cheese mixture and meat sauce. Cover with lid.

COOK on LOW 4 to 6 hours or until liquid is absorbed. Sprinkle with remaining cheeses; let stand, covered, 10 min. or until melted.

I served this with garlic bread (Nature's Own Bread challenge attempt #1). The family is beyond pleased with the meal. Two thumbs up!




Have a delicious day and MARVELOUS weekend!
CC

No comments:

Post a Comment