Tuesday, September 28, 2010

I lost – and then made a Taco Dip

This past Friday the results to the first round of Project Food Blog were revealed. I wasn’t even able to write a blog post as I waited in anticipation for the results. This blog is relatively new – less than 6 months. Nevertheless, I had pie in the sky visions of grandeur that completely fell short at exactly 3pm eastern time. I didn’t make the cut. I’ll admit to being a bit bummed. This newbie to the blog world apparently needs a few more posts and maybe a lesson or two in photography before stepping into the ring with the heavy hitters. I had a well written entry for the contest, but sometimes it takes more. Sometimes, you need a little extra zing – so I’ll keep working on it. Now, I could have wallowed in self pity, wondering what was wrong with me, or I could make a Taco Dip. It’s a much more delicious option!

So by request, I made a layered Taco Dip and we headed to some friends’ house where we ate and laughed the night away. Of course I’m sharing the recipe, as many of you know that it’s the key appetizer that makes guests snatch handfuls of tortilla chips and stand perched by the oven until you pull out the dip of deliciousness…where they then pounce on it like a pack of savage wolves and devour it until all that’s left is an empty Pyrex dish. Many ate so much of it, they barely had room for the main course. I was almost tempted to put the dish away without washing it – it was that clean! (ok, almost).

I’ve had a good number of knock-off versions of this dip in my day, but have found this to be my favorite. I hope you enjoy it as much as the savage wolves on Friday did!

Ingredients:
1-1.5 pounds ground beef
1 packet of Taco Seasoning Mix (I use Old El Paso)
1 (15 oz.)can of Refried Beans
½ jar of your favorite chunky salsa (I go with Pace or Chichi’s hot vs. medium or mild – it gives the dish great flavor)
1 – 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
1 (16 oz) container of sour cream
1 (8 oz) package of cream cheese – softened
A bag of your favorite tortilla chips

How to make it:
Combine the softened cream cheese and container of sour cream well and spread it into the bottom of a 9x13 Pyrex dish. Brown and drain your ground beef, then add the packet of taco seasoning mix. Stir that together, then add the refried beans and salsa. Stir all of that together and spoon it on top of the cream cheese / sour cream layer. Top with shredded cheddar cheese and bake at 350 degrees for about 30 minutes. Enjoy with tortilla chips and the laughter of your favorite friends and family for a winning combination.

Enjoy!
CC

2 comments:

  1. I'm sorry you didn't get in the contest. I had a similar disappointment when I applied for a couponing grocery challenge from All You. Didn't even get a nod or automatic response. I thought maybe they didn't get my entry...but then I realized I just didn't make the cut. Oh well.

    This dip is going in my staples for sure. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on attempting the contest - many folks (myself included) would never have had the confidence to try. Keep trying and keep up the great posts!

    I'm very much looking forward to trying the taco dip at Carolina Clipper's house :)

    ReplyDelete