Thursday, September 16, 2010

Sassy Tailgate Sandwiches

Friends, I have to tell you I have been rockin' the kitchen this week. I pulled out my favorite cookbook (that happens to be comprised of my favorite recipes from family, friends, and favorites I've come across through the years) and perused it for a few firecrackers to fix the fam and SHA-ZAM! We have successful, delicious and mouthwatering delights.

I'll tell you about my sassy little sandwiches I made and save the rest for another post because these little beauties need to be archived in your go-to recipe list as well. History behind them...I was at a baby shower for a friend a few years ago and the hostess came out of the kitchen with several pyrex dishes full of these melt in your mouth delicacies that had me literally all but camping out in her front lawn and picketing with signs until she succumbed to handing over the coveted recipe.

I've modified them and made them my own and will share that they are perfect for tailgating at your favorite football game (I've never tailgated before, but this seemed like the right thing to say at the onset of football season), they will be a staple at your baby shower, bridal shower, appetizer or potluck night - any excuse will do.

So head to the grocery store right now and buy some Hawaiian Rolls and let the magic unfold...

CC's Sassy Tailgate Sandwiches

Ingredients
5 T Melted Butter (I had unsalted butter, so this is what I used)
4 T Onion (Chopped so fine your non-onion eating husband and child can't tell what it is)
7 shakes of Poppy Seeds (seems logical to put something in a 'shake' term - it's all in the wrist)
2 squeezes of Spicey Brown Mustard (don't go crazy on your squeezes!)
1 package of Hawaiian Dinner Rolls (don't even THINK of substituting)
3/4 pound finely sliced or shredded Honey Ham (I have the nice deli people slice it for me as it tastes better than pre-packaged)
1/2 pound Swiss Cheese

Instructions
Take your rolls out of the package and slice the entire thing in half horizontally - it's much easier than pulling them apart, slicing them and then trying to do these individually. You will now have a top half and a bottom half - two big pieces of rolls stuck together. Put the bottom half in a 9x13 pyrex dish.

Combine the first 5 ingredients and spread on the insides of both halves of bread. Layer your ham on first, then your cheese, place the top half of the rolls on top of the cheese and cover the dish with foil.




Bake at 400 degrees for 12-15 minutes and then you have complete and utter sandwich perfection. Thank me later.



Have a delicious day!

5 comments:

  1. Oh, these sandwiches are so great. They've been around forever and every version I've encountered seems to be just slightly different - for example, mine uses worst. sauce and onion powder. Funny how these little babies pop up all around the South. And for good reason - these are so good!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aren't they marvelous? I think I ate 4 or 5 for dinner!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love these sandwichs!! Are these the ones that are from the recipe I gave you from Emily's? Love them!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lee - they are! I've tweaked them a bit and we love them!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I need to make them again soon - they are amazing! Hope you are well - miss you guys!

    ReplyDelete