Saturday, September 18, 2010

When Life Serves You Limes - Make a Pie!




Oh gracious, between the Frappe from McDonald's for breakfast and the Snapple Iced Tea I had with dinner, there is enough caffeine in my system right now to make you want to scrape me off the ceiling. I normally only drink water, so I am like a Tom and Jerry cartoon character now - what better time to write a post?!

I am dancing a jig (literally, you should see me) over a varation of a Key Lime Pie I made and served last night. My family and I went to a friend's house for a big dinner with a lot of other people and my assignment was dessert. It was an appreciation dinner, but a Foodie cannot resist the opportunity to bring something! I decided to make another Rustic Peach Pie like the one we devoured last week, along with a Key Lime Pie. One ended in disaster, the other in cheers of success after another mishap.

My wonderful friend AmyA gave me a recipe for a Mexican style pork roast that she promised was beyond delicious. I'll spare you the name of the well known cook whose blog that recipe came from...but I fixed it and it left my husband and I looking at each other trying to figure out what I had done wrong or if AmyA's tastebuds had suddenly disappeared from her mouth. It wasn't good and we fed it to our garbage disposal, which promptly got clogged and my husband had to unscrew the pipes under the sink to declog, at which point all of it came rushing out under the sink and missed the strategically placed bucket and went all over him. It's pretty bad when the garbage disposal doesn't even like your dinner. Chalk that one up to pretty much disaster. I wasn't even going to mention it until AmyA asked what we thought and alas, I cannot tell a lie. Funny thing is, she experienced the same thing (except it ended in her husband dry heaving instead of the garbage disposal). Apparently neither of us have mastered this recipe and we'll leave it up to her sister to fix as she's the only one to conquer it.

LONG story short, I had a plethora of lovely green Limes left from a garnish of the pork yuck and had no idea what to do with them until the dessert inspiration lept into my brain and then into a pie plate. I scoured the internet for a tasty new version of Key Lime Pie and took some from here, some from there and came up with my own personal twist that had folks asking about the crust, the recipe and the fun dusting of zest on top as they licked their forks and plates.

Of COURSE I'll share! So glad you asked...but first, back to the Rustic Peach Pie that ended in a no-show. I bought peaches that were on sale for $.69/lb at the grocery store earlier this week and allowed them to ripen to perfection on my counter until exactly one hour and thirty minutes before my dinner party. I figured my timing was perfect and I would present a freshly baked warm peach pie that would send everyone into orbit. I was terribly wrong. First, I should have bought the peaches from my favorite tried and true fruit stand, as these were AWEFUL. Secondly I shouldn't have waited until the last 90 minutes of the day to make a pie from scratch. You live and learn. All 10 of my peaches were a mealy mess - inedible and rotten. Not from sitting on my counter, but that other hard to describe nasty texture that is void of plump peachy juicy texture. I had to throw them all out, along with my dreams of a Rustic Peach Pie and rush to the freezer in the garage for some Breyers Cookies and Creme to save the day as an alternate dessert option.




Sigh of relief. When life serves you limes - Make a Pie!

CC's Twist on Key Lime Pie

Ingredients
1 8 oz. package cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup freshly squeezed lime juice (for me, this took 3 limes - I allowed the pulp in there too for extra ambiance, it worked!)
1 can of sweetened condensed milk (less one big spoonful from me enjoying a big taste from lack of self control)
1/2 cup sour cream
1 1/2 cups of vanilla wafer crumbs
1/4 cup of sugar
5 T. melted butter
Zest of one lime (which for me equaled about a teaspoon, I have a lousey zester and got tired)

How You Make It
Mix the vanilla wafer crumbs with the sugar and stir in the melted butter. When all is incorporated, press it firmly into a 9" pie plate (or tart pan, as I was feeling flamboyant). Bake at 350 degrees for 10 minutes.

Next, take your softened cream cheese and throw it into your mixing bowl with the sweetened condensed milk and sour cream. Mix at medium speed until creamy and then add your lime juice. Pour this onto your crust, smooth it over nicely and refrigerate for several hours or overnight. Before serving, sprinkle lime zest on the top for extra zing and you have yourself a sweet and tangy tasty take on an old favorite.

Have a delicious day!
CC

3 comments:

  1. I've definitely run into a few close calls in the kitchen department, but it sounds like you made it out okay and the pie sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So funny that you mentioned those peaches. I returned them after my hubby tried one and it was horrible. At least you had your limes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What is up with grocery store peaches? I agree - they are mealy messes!
    Oh, I'm so glad that I'm not the only one who bombed on the pork recipe. I thought I was losing my cooking abilities! I mean, I'm sorry it happened to you, but at least I'm not crazy! I didn't buy my pork shoulder on sale, either, so it was an expensive disaster. Did you get yours on sale?
    The next time my sister makes it, maybe she'll invite us over for a feast . . . ?

    ReplyDelete