Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Cupcakes, Pockets, Potroast and Chile

I'm amazed I'm getting anything done today - my eyes have been glued to the news as each miner is pulled up in a small metal capsule, having been trapped underground in Chile for the last 69 days. Each one is a miracle! I've been on the edge of my seat and have cried and cheered right along with the families. Looks like God is still in the miracle working business folks - don't ever doubt Him!

Last night I attempted these fun little cupcakes from kraftfoods.com - Pumpkin Creme Cupcakes. They're a quicky way to make some individually portioned pumpkin roll-like treats and I had most of the ingredients in my pantry. Check it out!




Now onto my love of this wonderful dish we crave in our house - Chicken Squares! My photo doesn't even remotely resemble a square...but I have also heard them called Chicken Pockets...once again mine is more of a pouch than a square or pocket - so call them what you wish.




Here is what you need:
2-3 chicken breasts - cooked and shredded
1 8 oz package cream cheese
1/2 a stick of butter
3 T. onion
1/2 c. milk
Salt / Pepper
2 tubes of crescent rolls (8 each)
1 can cream of mushroom soup


I take several cooked chicken breasts and shred them, adding in a package of cream cheese, half a stick of butter, 3 tablespoons of finely minced onion, 1/2 cup of milk and some sea salt and pepper. It makes a rich chicken salad consistency and you'll want to begin spooning it down right then and there, but control the urge as you pop open a tube of crescent rolls, mush two together so it makes a rectangle and then place a generous scoop in the center. Pull all four corners up to meet and then seal the sides by squeezing the seams together. You don't want the chicken salad mixture to leak out while baking - so squeeze those seams good!

I sprinkle seasoned stuffing mix on top and bake at 350 degrees for about 20ish minutes, until the top is nice and golden brown. Cream of mushroom soup diluted with several tablespoons of milk makes an excellent sauce to spoon over each Chicken Square prior to serving. I love these.

Ok, now I've got to get back to these miners being rescued, finish work and get everyone to kids choir and grown up choir rehearsal. Thank goodness we're having a potroast for dinner - the perfect "fix it and forget it dish" for busy days and nights.

Have a great day friends!
CC

3 comments:

  1. I can attest that Catherine's chicken squares are AMAZING. I want to eat one (or several) right now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Made these yesterday b/c they seemed like gooood Sunday Football food. HUGE hit w/ hubs and he wanted them for dinner 2nite too. :) These will be a regular. Even better, the chicken salad mixture tastes like the best chicken salad I've ever had from a little old lady named Bunny. Little does Bunny know that I might be on the cusp of her secret recipe. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. YAY HPS! So glad you like them too! Look out Bunny - we have your secret figured! :)

    ReplyDelete