Tuesday, October 26, 2010

More than just a Potato


I just finished the most divine ramekin of Mediterranean Potatoes ever to grace the face of the earth. A few years ago, I went to a Middle Eastern restaurant with some girlfriends and one of them ordered a side of these potatoes. I took a bite and almost couldn't stop going back for seconds, thirds, or ordering my own portion. I crave these potatoes and fix them ever so often so as not to lose total control on carb counts and end up featured on a show concerning morbid obesity.

I found the recipe on YouTube of all places, and this delightful woman of Mediterranean descent walked me through how to make them. If I knew her, I would hug her. Such a good recipe. The ingredients had me skeptical at first, as they involve fresh Cilantro of all things (which I'm not the fondest of) - but be adventurous with me and you'll enjoy an amazing surprise as the traditional flavor is transformed in this dish. Think lemony with a zing of ceyenne and have your fork perched to pounce on these beauties when you're done as they will FLY out of your serving bowl.

Mediterranean Potatoes
2 c. cubed Potatoes (yellow, red, russet, fingerling...doesn't matter, but keep the skin on for added earthy delight)
1 c. fresh Cilantro leaves
Ceyenne Pepper
Olive Oil
Salt and Pepper
6 cloves of Garlic, minced
1 T. Lemon Juice

Mix potatoes with 1/4 cup of olive oil and 1/2 t. salt and evenly distribute on a foil lined cookie sheet. Roast at 450 degrees for 30 minutes. In a skillet, saute more olive oil, garlic and cilantro - the leaves will wilt and cook down - you want this. Add in salt, pepper and a tablespoon of lemon juice. Add the roasted potatoes to this seasoned juicy mixture of love and make sure to coat the potatoes thoroughly. Taste one and feel free to add more ceyenne pepper and lemon juice if you prefer living life on the edge.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment