Tuesday, October 12, 2010

THOSE Sandwiches...

should be served in EVERY deli across the Country! Well, with a vote of confidence that strong from my hubby, I believe I have a blog post to type! Yesterday was Columbus Day which meant I had the day off...and I took it literally so you get to hear from me today instead!

I played around with deli meat and Italian bread and came up with this Hot Italian Sandwich that's going in "The Cookbook". There was a buy two get three free sale not long ago and I loaded up on salami, pepperoni, smoked provolone and the like...creating a masterpiece that has me drooling as I type this and it's not even lunch or dinner time. Hang on - I have to go eat one...I can't stand it any longer. Give me a minute and I'll be back....

Ok, thanks for bearing with me. You'll understand once you make these for yourself. (Wiping marinara sauce from the corners of my mouth...) Let's get started!

What you'll need for this amazing sandwich:
1 loaf of Italian Bread (I happen to enjoy those coated in sesame seeds)
1 stick of butter (ooooh, you know your in trouble now!)
3 cloves of garlic, pressed
Grated Parmesan Cheese
Sliced Pepperoni
Sliced Salami (Hard/Genoa - your choice!)
Sliced Smoked Provolone Cheese
Sliced or Grated Mozzarella Cheese
1 large jar of your favorite Marinara Sauce (I used Barilla the other day thanks to a B1G1 sale)

Now, melt the butter and the pressed/minced garlic for 1 minute in your microwave (combining them prior to melting is key, as the garlic infuses the butter). While this infusion is taking place, slice the loaf of bread so as to allow two sandwiches per person (i.e. 4 slices per person). Quickly dip one side of bread into the buttery goodness and place it butter side up on a foil lined cookie sheet (you'll thank me later on the ease of clean up). Sprinkle each slice with parmesan cheese. (I mention quickly because if you allow the bread to linger in the butter sauce, one slice will slurp up WAY too much butter - you don't want this. Each slice must be nice and SHARE the butter).

Next, take sliced pepperoni and salami and layer as much as you wish on half of the bread slices on your cookie sheet (the other slices of bread are for the cheese - so hold on!). I have a meat loving husband, so I layer lots of hearty meaty slices on his. 4 big slices of pepperoni and 4 big slices of salami usually get the job done.

Now layer the provolone and mozzarella on the other slices of bread you haven't touched yet and promptly pop this cookie sheet into a 350 degree oven for about 15 minutes. You want the cheese to melt and the meat to heat through. After you pull it from the oven, match your meaty piece of bread with your cheesy piece of bread and WhaaaLah! You have a sandwich. I plate two per person and heat up a ramekin of marinara sauce for each plate so everyone feels special. The idea is to dip your sandwich into the marinara and then savor the most amazing taste to hit your buds since Reece's Peanut Butter Cups were invented.




While the sandwiches are working it out in the oven, it's a nice time to whip up a lettuce salad with an Italian vinaigrette. A meal fit for any deli across the country! This one will have you singing Bella Noche in no time.

Ciao!
CC

2 comments:

  1. This sounds great! And I love the BOGO and sale items you used. :) Your menu each week seems to have great variety...is your food budget high?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you fix them and enjoy them as much as we do Carolina Clipper! I keep my food budg to $70/week. :)

    ReplyDelete