Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Betty's Quiche

You'll kick me when you hear what I ate for breakfast. Ready? Godiva Chocolate Covered Dried Strawberries. You can snag them by the socks and cufflinks at the cash registers at Macy's for a few bucks and they are worth every bite. I ate the whole box, embarrassingly so. I've never been much for traditional breakfast foods - I tend to thrive on the unusual.

It's two weeks before Thanksgiving and I am getting giddy with excitement. Be sure to tune in next week as I share some of my favorite Turkey Day recipes. For today, my focus is on my kids bake sale at Preschool and my Choir Crony Cooking Show on Saturday. I got priviledge of writing the bake sale advertisement that was sent home with each child and I hope it's a huge success! Pumpkin rolls, dinner rolls, pumpkin pie, carmel corn and whoopie pies - what's not to love, crave and devour?!

Now for the Cooking Show, I'm planning on making my ultimate favorite quiche and though I've modified it somewhat, I owe this recipe's deliciousness to a sweet little lady who is long since retired. I had the pleasure of working her with one summer as I worked my way through school. She was the impetus for many amazing potlucks and that's where I snagged her recipe. Betty Deese - two thumbs up on your quiche, baby!

We enjoy this dish in our house as a dinner entree and I make a killer salad to accompany it. It's not too heavy, so you have plenty of room for the fudge brownies and vanilla bean ice cream that have been calling to you all day.

Here's the prized recipe:
1 pre-made pie crust - Pillsbury has a tasty one that you unroll so you can make people think you prepared it from scratch
1/2 c. shredded mozzarella cheese
1/2 c. shredded cheddar cheese
1/2 c. shredded swiss cheese
1 lb. cooked sausage (I have tried them all - Jimmy Dean is the man)
1 1/4 c. sour cream
2/3 c. milk
4 eggs - beaten
1 t. salt
1/2 t. dry mustard

I am the self proclaimed queen of pre-made piecrusts. They have rescued me on many occasions. I form the crust into a 9" pie plate and call it my own. After all, I did unroll it and smoosh it into the plate and attempt lovely crimped edges. Of COURSE I made it! The cooked sausage is then patted down with paper towels to remove the artery clogging oil and then placed in the bottom of the crust.



I sprinkle all the cheese on the sausage next. From there, combine the sour cream, eggs, milk, salt and mustard together and pour the mixture over the sausage and cheese. Bake for 30-35 minutes in a 375 degree oven and then let it sit on your counter to rest for 5 minutes. The fluffiness of the egg will deflate - don't be alarmed.



I'm convinced I took more pictures than this, but they have mysteriously vaporized, so you'll need to use your imagination from here. This probably happened while I was dodging a flying basketball, jumping over the monster truck filled with animal finger puppets, wiping up the chocolate milk my son decided to smear all over the floor with his feet and so much for having lip gloss on when the hubby got home! This is Mmmm Mmmm good and you'll want to eat it for breakfast, lunch and dinner.

Enjoy!
CC

No comments:

Post a Comment