Friday, November 12, 2010

Carmel Corn Shout Outs

I burned the carmel corn. Not just any carmel corn. THE carmel corn. We decided to make samples of the bake sale items for preschool so parents would taste the deliciousness of the items offered and sales would in turn, sky rocket (or that's how it works in my mind). I have a tasty recipe that I adapted from Land O Lakes Sweet and Salty Snack Mix and I can barely get the carmel on the popcorn from wanting to stick my face in the saucepan and lap it like a mad woman. You finish off this addicting treat in the oven and that was when my well thought out plan got burned to a crisp. I attempted 25 too many things at once and it caught up with me.

While wiping off breakfast faces, brushing unruly hair, zipping coats, making turkey sandwiches for lunch boxes and putting the dog in his cage, I simply forgot about the carmalicious delicious in my oven...when what to my wandering nose should appear but the horrible smell, wiping away all cheer. Plan B is to make it again next week and forgo endless multitasking. I'll go ahead and share the recipe with you if you promise not to burn it like me.

But first, I have to give a shout out to my loyal readers that have absolutely made this blog worth typing. I am amazed when people tell me they read The Musing Foodie - what an honor! I love your emails and comments and am totally wowed that you try my recipes. Just this week Mary M. made the Taco Dip for a party, Julianne M. went for the Butternut Squash Soup and branched out putting it on tortellini and Vanessa Z. tried the Pumpkin Whoopie Pies while Serena C. is currently walking through the mall enjoying the Godiva Chocolate Covered Strawberries. These types of things really keep me going. Thank you - thank you - thank you!

Now for that Carmel Corn....

Ingredients
1 Package of Microwavable Popcorn (no butter, no salt)
3/4 c. firmly packed brown sugar
1/2 c. (1 stick) of butter
3 T. light corn syrup (actually I've used dark and it's fine too)
1/2 t. salt
1 t. vanilla
1/2 t. baking soda

Pop the popcorn according to package instructions (which should mean 2 minutes and 15 seconds). Combine brown sugar, butter, corn syrup and salt in a 2 quart sauce pan. Cook over medium heat - stirring occasionally until mixture comes to a full boil.

Remove from heat, stir in vanilla and baking soda. Pour carmel sauce over popcorn in a separate bowl and toss and stir to coat. Pour popcorn onto a cookie sheet and bake at 375 degrees for 10 minutes - stirring every 5 minutes. Do this and only this - do not make a turkey sandwich, wipe a face, blow your nose or go to the bathroom, lest this should burn. Now that you have a cookie sheet full of sweet crunchy tastiness, grab your spouse and kids and watch a movie together while munching away.

I would have taken a picture, but I was too frustrated. Maybe next week?

Have a delicious weekend and I look forward to sharing my favorite Turkey Day recipes with you all next week!

CC

(Side note, I attempted this again and realized the timing was off - don't cook it 15 minutes as I orginally said...let's go with 10 and you should be fine - I adjusted the recipe above so you don't burn two batches in 1 week like I did.)

2 comments:

  1. Oh, wow, I'm always amazed at how recipes get passed around and tweaked in a great way. I've been making this caramel corn a lot the past few weeks out of an older-than-the-hills church cookbook. We grew up on this stuff and it's truly addictive. However, I've always wondered how to make it last. As my current recipe stands, there's no way to save any of the popcorn; you have to eat it right away (no problem there!) because after a few hours it's so hard that you can't separate it. There's no baking in my recipe, but I bet baking is what seals each little piece so that it doesn't harden into one big block! Good to know, good to know . . . Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. it seals it like a charm! hope you enjoy!!

    ReplyDelete