Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Grace with a side of Apple Danish

If you saw the amount of butter, sour cream and cheddar cheese that I plopped onto my baked potato for lunch, you would probably pass out. But yesterday was just that kind of day. I had an insanely busy schedule from the moment I woke up and small little nothings seemed to attack from every angle. I found myself hitting the Twix stash, the Reece's stash, helping myself to a large bowl of Brownie Fudge Ice Cream and the generous helpings on the aforementioned baked potato while trial after trial took jabs at me. Nothing seemed to suffice until my husband, who I love and adore more than life itself, came to my rescue. (Where do I also mention that I only remembered to straighten the front part of my hair, not realizing the back was completely curly until the end of the day? And where do I also insert that I put on all my makeup but forgot the key element of mascara?)

My husband helped me put things into perspective, calmed me down and then took the kids off to play in another part of the house so I could have culinary therapy in the comfort of my kitchen. He can always tell when I've had a rough day - dinner is either frozen pizza or I have a bake-a-thon. Last night was the latter.

I baked an Apple Danish from scratch - dough and all and it was to die for. We couldn't wait until breakfast this morning, we HAD to eat it for dessert. HAD to. Will you look at that flaky buttery crust? I astounded my pre-made piecrust self!



I then moved on to a super fabulous Sweet Potato Casserole from my friend Hannah - I'll twist her arm and see if she minds me sharing the recipe with you. After that, I whipped up Shrimp Scampi that I served over Angel Hair Pasta for dinner...all while baking Chocolate Chip and Sugar Cookies for my son's Thanksgiving Feasts today at school. When the last cookie was placed in the appropriate Tupperware container and bookbag, I let out a contented sigh.

This morning I woke up completely rejuvenated and was able to hit Starbucks for all 6 of the boy's teachers for a Thanksgiving Sippable Suprise and then I skipped to my car with my bag of treats purchased from the School Bake Sale - Dinner Rolls, Pumpkin Roll and Whoopie Pies. Today is going to be a GOOD day.

I have no idea what I'm making for dinner and still have a to-do list a mile long, but with some major GRACE I will get through it all. Aren't fresh starts a blessing? Yet another thing to add to my Thanksgiving Thankfulness List.

So, if you read up on last week's posts, today and tomorrow you're working ahead making those side dishes for Turkey Day, right? I already had a delicious two-thumbs up report on my turkey recipe that was fixed last weekend for a potluck - glad you enjoyed it Jenn!

Talk to you soon friends - I'm off to munch on more of that Apple Danish!
CC

2 comments:

  1. Ahhhh...grace. No other word for it but amazing. In case u didn't catch it, that was the sermon topic on Sun. :) sorry u had a rough day but if I was at your house, I might be glad w/ that apple Danish. I'm soooooo glad you finally found a sweet tater cassyro you likey! Post away. It's actually on RWAV from Sat a week ago.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn't that the truth HPS? I couldn't make it without Grace. The apple danish is now history and I need to make another. :) Look for a sweet potato shout out soon.

    ReplyDelete