Tuesday, November 2, 2010

A Hug in a Bowl - Butternut Squash Soup


It's the second day of November. I am now less 4 wisdom teeth and recovering. Today is my 8th wedding anniversary to my knight in shining armor and as luck would have it, we're celebrating tonight by him attending a mandatory work conference and me attending a mandatory choir rehearsal. Sigh. Life - I think I live for weekends. We'll have fun celebrating when I can eat more than mushy foods. I've been surviving on quiche, pudding, milkshakes, noodles, soup and ice cream. How I long for a halloween candy and a burger!

In addition to the aforementioned burger, I've been craving Butternut Squash Soup. With the Fall season upon us, Harvest Festival at my son's school and cooler weather, I've got comfort food on the brain. Nothing quite gives you a warm food hug better than a bowl of hearty homemade soup. I happen to enjoy the sweet flavor that is brought out in this soup by roasting the ingredients first. Since I am in a mushy foods state right now, I made a rather large vat of this to last me a few days. Using only one butternut squash will do you just fine for a normal family of 4 portion with perhaps a leftover bowl or two.

I've looked at many recipes on this topic and some take the skimpy easy way out by microwaving their squash. Honey, if you want food that tastes good, take the time to roast this with me - you can multi task while it's in the oven and the taste will be worth every minute of effort yout put into it.

Ingredients
1 butternut squash, halved and scooped of seeds
1 onion, cut in 4-6 large chunks
1 small potato, peeled and cut into large chunks
1 small apple, peeled and cored - seeds removed
Salt, pepper and cayenne pepper to taste
Olive oil
1-2 cups chicken stock
Sour cream for garnish (Yes, you want this and No, don't buy lowfat)

Slather some olive oil on the flesh of the squash, as well as the onion and potatoes. Place squash skin side up on a foil lined cookie sheet with apple, onion and potato. Roast at 425 degrees for 35 minutes. Here are some before and after shots to help the visual people like me:





The squash skin will come off much easier now that it's roasted. Remove the skin, and place the squash, onion, potato and apple in your blender and puree away until it's nice and smooth. Pour this into a stock pot with the 1-2 cups of chicken stock and heat through. If you want a thicker soup, start with just one cup of the chicken stock. If you want to go thinner, add an additional cup. Add salt, pepper and cayenne pepper to taste (if your soup is bland - you haven't seasoned enough) and garnish each portion with a dollop of sour cream. It adds a creamy tart zing to the dish and you'll love it. Comfort food at its finest. Doesn't this look like a hug? Love it!



Enjoy!
CC

2 comments:

  1. I never would have thought to roast the squash in large sections like that; I would have cubed it. Very good to know!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's much easier than fighting with the tough skin pre-roasting! Hope it helps you.

    ReplyDelete