Tuesday, November 30, 2010

It can't be over yet?

Oh say it isn't so! Did Thanksgiving come and go that quickly? My refrigerator is saying yes. The last remnants of holiday meal leftovers are but a distant memory now. And what a delicious memory it was! I've received questions about what my meal consisted of...and though I gave a proposed menu on what would be fixed if I were hosting, I didn't host. We all piled in the car and headed South over hill and dale for approximatly 8 minutes until we reached my parents. It was a festive time and good food and fellowship was had by all.



My parents went completely non-traditional and fixed a smoked Beef Briskit (to die for) and a Honey Baked Ham. I went for the Briskit - for those of you in Texas country, you know what I'm talking about. And then we had traditional sides - sausage, apple and cranberry stuffing (pictured above), potato casserole, green bean casserole, sweet potato casserole, corn souffle, a mixed greens salad, rolls, shrimp cocktail...and an amazing new appetizer that involved jalapenos and cream cheese - oh hold me back! Dessert was pumpkin pie (pictured below), pumpkin roll, apple pie and a plethora of coffee options (my mother has to be a secret Starbucks Barista, I just know it!).



I had just about as much fun as one can possibly have this holiday. My boys are getting old enough to appreciate the Macy's Thanksgiving Parade, so we piled on the couch in pj's and watched that. I operated the official "Musing Foodie Turkey 101" call center to field all the calls I got about turkeys and stuffing and other such fun - I loved getting those calls friends! I'm glad to hear your meals turned out delicious too!

We ate Moravian Sugar Cake for Thanksgiving Breakfast, along with eggs and bacon. If you have yet to experience Moravian Sugar Cake, you must indulge. It's a time honored tradition in our family for Thanksgiving and Christmas breakfast - something by husband clued me in to when we first got married. Think foccaccia bread with cinnamon and sugar in lieu of savory seasonings. Heat it up in the oven and you'll rethink your career and want to open a bakery.

I got an unexpected visit from a dear friend, my husband and I knocked out almost all of our Christmas shoppping on Black Friday and we put the tree up. I'm putting the finishing touches of decor up around the house and nothing makes me happier than turning off all the lights in the house but the tree and sitting on the couch with a bowl of ice cream or hot cocoa and just relaxing. It's the best!

The season is crazy busy and in full swing and I'm bound and determined to get the most out of each delicious moment. I have some fun appetizer recipes to share with you this week to help you ring in the merry good cheer, so stay tuned.

Talk to you soon!
CC

4 comments:

  1. You forgot to mention that you also fielded questions from me about my Turkey dinner the day before and the day of. How many times did I call? :) BTW, your stuffing was great. I'll be making it again for Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad you enjoyed it and that the turkey was perfect! So proud of you for tackling it all - look out Pioneer Woman, the Carolina Clipper is now a contender. :) XO!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Once again-you don't dissapoint~Moravian Sugar Cake is a holiday staple MUST! Now, can you dish out this jalapeno app or you already have it in the works? If so, I'll put on my patient pants. Chicken squares on the tree decorating menu for 2nite. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh just you wait on the app recipe - it's comin up this week! Oooooh delish on the chicken squares. Enjoy enjoy!

    ReplyDelete