Friday, December 17, 2010

Airing on the side of a cookie - TV style!


I could hardly fall asleep last night. With the combination of a successful Christmas party, eating my weight in the most divine chocolate truffles EVER and the anticipation of being interviewed and filmed for the Ballantyne Cookie competition this morning, it was a little more than I could handle.

Being the extremely health conscious mother I am, I gave my children cookies for breakfast before sending them off with my mother-in-law. This way we could tape without interruption of flying beach balls, silly bands and monster trucks (all common occurrences otherwise).

I'm putting their coats on and sending them out the door as a WBTV car pulls up to my house. My stomach jumps into my throat and I begin asking myself important questions like "Is my blush too excessive? What if my underwear shows when I bend over to put the cookies in the oven? Will anyone notice the fingerprints on my oven door from my 18 month old's cookie fingers? Will anyone notice the chocolate truffle batter from last night stuck to my Kitchen Aid when they do a close up of the cookie batter? What if I throw up?"

I think they're all valid concerns but everything fell into place as WBTV Reporter and Anchorwoman Kristen Miranda graciously took me through the shoot. I was amazed that 30 minutes of shooting would be whittled down to 50 seconds of air time. We all got a laugh at the cameraman's inability to plug in the special lighting due to my child proof socket protectors. When in doubt - use a butter knife! (Kids, do not try this at home!)

I was interviewed in the comfort of my kitchen, surrounded by cookie ingredients and a great crew. The cookies turned out PERFECT. (Praise the Lord). I didn't have any mishaps as I originally feared and the spot airs tonight at 5:30 eastern on WBTV.

Now, since I've shared the recipe for these famous Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies two days ago, I'll let you in on the magical truffles that make you fear skinny jeans. I made two kinds for the dessert last night to finish off the Italian Feast - Chocolate Cheesecake and Oreo Cheesecake Truffles.

Chocolate Cheesecake Truffles
8 oz. cream cheese - softened
8 squares of semi-sweet baking squares
2 cups of semi sweet chocolate chips
1-2 tablespoons of shortening

Beat the cream cheese with an electric mixer until creamy. In a double boiler, melt the chocolate baking squares until smooth and add to the cream cheese - incorporating until it's a smooth, chocolaty consistency. Try to avoid spooning down all the batter right then - tempting, but you'll want to save it for the finished product. Chill until firm, several hours.

Melt the chocolate chips and shortening in the double boiler and have two forks ready and waiting. Using a melon baller, form truffle balls and throw them into the melted chocolate. Use the forks to dip each truffle and coat it well, tapping off the excess chocolate. Move truffle to a parchment lined plate and repeat until all truffle batter has disappeared. Refrigerate until ready to serve.

Now for the Oreo Version!
1 package Oreo Cookies - crushed to oblivion
1 8 oz. package of cream cheese, softened
2 cups semi sweet chocolate chips
1-2 teaspoons of shortening

Combine your crushed Oreos and cream cheese until it's a paste-y mess. Refrigerate until firm and melt your chocolate chips and shortening like you did in the above recipe. Same song and dance - form melon ball sized truffles and toss them in the melted chocolate. Refrigerate until ready to serve.

Presenting these luscious bites of Heaven on a few platters after eating a sumptuous feast will have your guests absolutely forgetting their names. It's quite possibly the best little party dessert you've ever popped in your mouth. Here's a picture - a REAL picture of what a real amateur person made - they don't always turn out smooth like the ones at the Godiva counter or in the fancy magazines but they taste just as good if not BETTER. I promise - and I know these things as my sweet tooth is the size of Texas.



Have a delicious day!
CC

2 comments: