Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Chilly Me and some Cheez-It Chicken

The weatherman said it was going to be 16 degrees last night. That's a might chilly for the South. I had my kids bundled up so well you could just make out their blue eyes as I shoved and packed them into car seats for school. (Easier said than done with puffy coats on). In light of the bitterly cold weather, I'm enjoying a grilled cheese sandwich with mozzarella, cheddar and provologne cheeses and a nice cup of tomato basil bisque that I whipped up. I have a husband home sick, so grilled cheese and soup were the get-well-soon foods of choice.

I blinked and yesterday was gone, so here I am today getting caught up and I wanted to share an OH-so-good chicken casserole that is a favorite in our house. Cheez-It Chicken. My boys love it because it incorporates their favorite cracker - Cheez-Its! I've tried the store brand knock offs and none can compare to the perfection of a Cheez-It. We go through many a box in our house.

Here's the recipe - I pair it with a side of green beans and we gobble it right up.

40 Cheez-It Crackers, crushed (approx. 2 cups for those of you who don't want to count to 40)
2 T. Poppy Seeds
1 Stick of Butter
3 Chicken Breasts, cooked and shredded
1 Can of Cream of Celery Soup (I've never in my life used Cream of Celery before this recipe)
8 oz. Sour Cream
Salt and Pepper

Crush the crackers and toss in the poppy seeds. Melt one stick of butter and pour it over the cracker mixture, stirring to ensure every bit is covered in fattening delicious butter. Set aside.



Combine shredded chicken with soup and sour cream, plus salt and pepper to taste. Place half of the Cheez-It mixture in the bottom of a greased casserole dish. Carefully spread all of the chicken mixture on top of this. Sprinkle the remaining cracker mixture over the chicken and bake at 350 for 25-30 minutes.





Enjoy!

CC

No comments:

Post a Comment