Friday, December 31, 2010

A Rice like no other.


Rice. It seems so bland - just an after thought, hidden in a casserole as a filler or something you have to place your stir fry on. I get it for free or just cents on the dollar with my careful couponing tactics and normally give it to a food bank. It wasn't until 2 weeks ago that I had a rice dish that rocked my narrow minded rice world. I gazed upon a dish that just looked like a bland bowl of boring rice and I took a scoop out of obligation. It wasn't until I sat down and began working my way around my plate that my palate was forever altered in favor of this amazing new discovery.

My friend Jessica makes the best rice in the history of mankind. Period.

Now THAT is an accomplishment. I literally didn't want dessert - I went back for seconds on this rice and begged, literally pleaded for the recipe. She gladly handed it over and I made it for the fam much to their delight. I have to share it with you - have to. You need your rice life altered.

Sutton Rice
1 c. boring long grain rice (I used Mahatma because it was free and lounging in my pantry)
1 can of Beef Consomme (pronounced Con-SUM-May - fun!)
1 can of Beef Broth
1/2 stick of butter
1/2 onion, chopped

Saute the onion in the butter and pour it in an oven safe dish. Pour the rice and two cans of beefy business over the top and cover it. Bake at 350 for 30 minutes COVERED and then 30 minutes UNCOVERED. Watch it around the 50 minute mark as your oven may be hotter than others - you want the liquids to be absorbed but the rice to not be dried out.



Now, feast your tastebuds on this amazingness. I served it with a marinated steak and it was restaurant good. (How fun are my Sur la Table Christmas Plates?!)

Enjoy!
CC

6 comments:

  1. This is my fav rice of alllllll time. As a child, it was a surefire thing to scoop at questionable church potlucks. I had forgotten about it until Amy A brought it w/ her dinner after we had the twins. The recipe has been resurrected! Everyone loves it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn't it amazing? Totally rocked my rice world forever.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, but mine isn't nearly as fancy as sweet Jessica's recipe. Mine involves beef bouillon cubes and onion powder - a poor girl's version :)
    Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amy's version is a staple in our house and I'll be sure to try this one too! I've never even heard of Beef Consomme...but hey, it's a New Year and I'm open to new things.

    ReplyDelete
  5. CC - Found your rice recipe... ok, so where do I get beef consomme? Is it the same or similar to buillon cubes?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Tara - it's in the same section as the beef broth. It's in a can and I've used Campbell's. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete