Monday, January 31, 2011

Buffalo Chicken Squares

This weekend I was bound and determined to make my favorite minestrone recipe. As I began pulling the ingredients out, I discovered my bag of onions had turned into a science fair project that could cure the rarest of diseases. The moldy mess got pitched and I switched recipes. On the fly, I went digging into my freezer to see what conglomeration of ingredients I could put together to feed the fam and I hit the jackpot!

Chicken Squares are one of our favorite meals, and I decided to tweak perfection to try them Buffalo style. If you don't already have a best practice of cooking meat and freezing it, please allow me to twist your arm into trying it. I shaved about 30-40 minutes off my cooktime by having cooked shredded chicken in my freezer - just calling out my name! When I buy chicken in bulk, I know that many of my recipes call for shredded chicken, so I boil it up and freeze it in plastic containers to be added to a recipe in a flash and save me considerable time and effort. (Think Chicken Squares, Enchiladas, Chicken and Noodles...etc.) Try it. Thank me later.

Back to the Buffalo Squares...I have a recipe for Frank's Red Hot Buffalo Chicken Dip that I clipped from the newspaper and was planning on fixing as a fun Super Bowl dip. I realized it sounded amazing as a chicken square filling. If you like Buffalo Wings, these will give your tastbuds something to shout about. We loved them and my husband declared them a "Fixer Againer". SCORE!

What you need:
2 c. cooked, shredded chicken
1 8oz. package cream cheese
1/4-1/2 c. Frank's Red Hot Sauce (depending on your heat tolerance)
1/4 c. crumbled blue cheese
1/2 c. ranch dressing
1-2 large cans of crescent rolls

How you make this amazingness:
Combine the chicken, cream cheese, hot sauce, blue cheese and ranch dressing in a large bowl. Make sure cream cheese is well incorporated - (i.e. no big chunks - we want smooth!).



Unroll your crescent rolls, leaving two triangles together to form 1 rectangle/square. Mush the seams together and put a generous scoop of the chicken mixture inside. Pull the four corners of dough together at the top and push the seams together to avoid any chicken from oozing out.



Repeat this step until you've either gone through all your chicken mixture or run out of crescent roll dough.This should make 4-6 chicken squares. Bake on a cookie sheet for approximately 20 minutes at 350, until they are light brown.




I served this with a side salad and it was spectacular!

Have a delicious day and we'll chat soon!
CC

7 comments:

  1. CC,
    Let me try to twist YOUR arm and get you to cook your bulk chicken in the slow cooker. Fill it up, pour in chicken stock to cover, and cook on Low 8 hours. The chicken falls apart and shredding couldn't be easier.
    By the way, Hannah raved to me about your chicken squares!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Consider the arm twisted! Do you do this with boneless chicken as well as on the bone? You've gotta try the chicken squares! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ames did a fab RWAV post on it!
    http://roofwithaview.blogspot.com/2010/05/stay-at-home-saturday.html

    OK! You had me at buffalo...2 of my favs...chicken squares AND buffalo flava flav. You got me and you're right...this IS great news! I'll bookmark this under my fav recipes-all things buffalo along w/ buffalo chicken chili and http://whatsfordin-din.blogspot.com/search?q=buffalo.

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW! These sound YUMMY. They will be on my meal plan for next week for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  5. CC- do you use a food processor to shred your chicken? I hate the shredding part especially by hand, and my food processor (which is really old) shreds it too fine, or fine with big chunks. Maybe I just need to invest in a new one :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Tara - I've never used my food processor...I just get out a knife to cut off any 'yuck' and then use two forks to do it by hand after it's already cooked. It takes a little longer than just cutting it up, but it's the preferred texture in our house. :) Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  7. CC,
    Yes! I use boneless skinless chicken in the crock pot as well. Probably don't need to cook it as long - maybe only 6 hours or so.

    ReplyDelete