Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Crockpot...Pizza?

As I am iced and snowed in my house (literally), thoughts of my beloved crockpot made me share a recipe that went from no to yes in one conglomeration of ingredients. I am all about fix-it-and-forget-it meals that leave me more time for doing important things like sledding with my boys.

My husband came across a recipe for something called Crockpot Pizza awhile ago and it sounded GREAT until I read the ingredient list. It's pasta recipe with pizza topping ingredients and Cream Of Mushroom Soup? My nose squinched and I said, Uh NO. I would never put that soup on my pizza, so I'm not fixing this recipe. I walked away from it for about a month, and then thought whatever, I'll give it a try and feed it to the garbage disposal if it's inedible.

The great thing is, I was able to multi task and make this while making dinner one night - putting this recipe together in no time flat and popping it in the frig to serve the next day (on low for 4 hours). It was the perfect time saver!

Here's what you need and how to layer this recipe. It's super easy, and if your nose squinches when you read it too, give it a try anyway. The soup somehow magically transforms into a creamy cheese sauce and it's wonderful.

Ingredients:
1.5 pounds hamburger meat, browned & drained (cook completely)
16 ounces shredded mozzarella cheese (provologne works too)
1 chopped onion (these will cook in the process)
1 package of pepperoni
2/3 box of rigatoni, noodles - cooked (penne and corkscrew work too)
1 can cream of mushroom soup (I know - just trust me)
1 small can of sliced mushrooms (omit if you're not a mushroom fan, but do include the soup)
2 jars of pizza sauce (or one jumbo jar of pasta sauce is fine too, just don't skimp - you want plenty of sauce)

Layer all ingredients in a buttered crockpot in the following order:

hamburger
noodles
cheese
soup
mushrooms
pizza / pasta sauce
pepperoni
permesan cheese - for garnish

Heat this for 4 hours on low in your beloved crockpot. At the end of four hours, it'll look a little something like this:



And then you scoop it out into bowls and it looks like this (I know, it's not that pretty but sprinkle some parmesan cheese on it if you'd like - it tends to cover a multitude of sins). The layers all blend together and it's a creamy pasta dish with a zing of a pepperoni pizza.



I sprinkle parmesan cheese over it and serve it with a lettuce salad and some garlic bread and tend to get rave reviews...you'd never even know there was a crazy layer of cream of mushroom soup in there.

I'm now off to squeeze the weird bag of Amish Friendship Bread some one gave me (I'll tell you more about it in 10 days)...and am attempting a kneadless Artisan bread as well.

Stay warm out there!
CC

2 comments:

  1. You'll love the friendship bread Catherine, so good! And I'm going to try this recipe, looks good (just without the hamburger meat and mushrooms..)

    Thanks!

    - DonnaB

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks DonnaB! Let me know how a meatless version turns out. I've had friendship bread before, but I've experimented with the starter this round. I'll let you know how it turns out in about a week. :)

    ReplyDelete