Tuesday, March 1, 2011

CC's Chicken Enchiladas


Do you ever have a winning dish that people say "Wow - can I have the recipe?" and you have to blankly stare and then stammer the truth about it being 'a little bit of this and a little bit of that' because you made it up on the fly?

Enter stage right: My chicken enchiladas. I love them, my family loves them, company that comes over to eat them for dinner love them. I fixed them for my fix 'n freeze - they were a hit and now I'm being asked for the recipe. Shoot - I don't have it written down!

I decided to make them again and pay attention to what I was doing and the measurements of the ingredients, and here it is:

CC's Chicken Enchiladas
2-3 c. shredded chicken - don't talk back, it must be shredded
1 c. salsa
1 can cream of chicken soup
1 c. sour cream
1 c. cheddar cheese (plus more for sprinkling, an extra cup?)
3 T. finely chopped onion
Salt and pepper to taste
Fajita Sized Flour tortillas (they are about 6 inches wide)

So, take your cooked and shredded chicken and put it in a large bowl. Mine happens to be in my grandmother's magical bowl. I know it's such because everything she ever fixed using this bowl turned out amazing, so the sentimental value of this bowl makes everything I cook in it amazing too.



To this you add your cast of characters: salsa, sour cream, cream of chicken soup (throw in a can of green chilis if you have them hanging out in the pantry).



Stir it all up.



Add in the onion, salt, pepper and cheese. Stir some more.



Now place generous heaping spoonfuls in the center of each tortilla.



Fold it over and place it seam side DOWN in a GREASED glass pyrex dish. (I only made two because I'm demonstrating for you and had them for lunch - this will make a whole panful to feed your hungry brood).





Bake at 350 for about 25-30 minutes. Just before you're ready to pull them out, sprinkle some more cheese on top and put it back in the oven to melt.

I serve these beauties with sour cream and salsa on top and a side of black or refried beans.

Divine I tell you. These are divine.

Have a delicious day!
CC

10 comments:

  1. Okay, Catherine. That is literally the SAME recipe I use, but yours were so much better! What in the world?! I guess the only difference is the onion. Maybe that was the trick? I don't get it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Donna, is the only difference is your recipe doesn't have the jar of salsa in them? I've made your and recall soup, sour cream and chiles but no salsa? I coulda sworn those bad boys had cream cheese in em. Bless your sweet busy lil heart fir making them just so you could tell us the recipe. Divine is right! Maybe it's grandmas bowl?!?!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Clearly it's Grandma's bowl - told you it was magical! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Donna, I often make my mom's recipes and I promise you, her food tastes better!!! Sometimes I think that someone else's food tastes better because I didn't have to slave over it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I made these last night for my husband and they were a HIT! I added some black beans to the mixture and we were not disappointed. My husband said, "these are def blog-worthy!" haha
    Thanks for ANOTHER great one.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was just looking for a mexican dish to go with some shredded chicken I have (frozen from previously cooked in crock-pot- thx to your tips) so this is great!! Can't wait to make them! I do have a freezing question- and this applies to most dishes that you would make to freeze- do you actually cook it, let cool then freeze, or prepare up to the point of cooking, then freeze and bake later??

    ReplyDelete
  7. I also LOVE how you break down your recipes step by step!! I need that! You are my HERO! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. @ Becky - thanks Gibbs! So glad you enjoyed them!

    @ Tara - cook the chicken like the recipe says and once you have all the enchiladas made, pop it in the freezer and when you're ready to eat them, pull them out morning of to unthaw a bit in the frig and then cook as the recipe says - no need to cook before freezing. Thanks for your kind words! So glad you enjoy the blog. XO!

    ReplyDelete
  9. CC - I made these this week when my mom and dad came over and oh my goodness were they delicious! My family LOVED them! I made some extra to freeze but ended up eating them too :) I will tell you that I added some carrot and sweet potato puree that I keep frozen in the freezer in 1/2 cup portions, and it blended great! My kids never knew :)
    Thanks for the great recipe and great tips!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Tara - I'm so glad you enjoyed them! :)

    ReplyDelete