Friday, March 18, 2011

Lemon Chess Bars



There is just something about a lemon bar. I enjoy them so much, I lose track of how many I eat. Before I realize it, half the pan is gone, I'm the only one home and the guilty party - still craving another. It happened again this week.

I was making lemon bars for a girlfriend who had a baby. I made a pan for her, and a pan for me. I truly meant my pan to be for my entire family, honest. After pulling them from the oven and inhaling their sweet citrus aroma, I did a taste test. It was just going to be a small corner, then it turned into the slice next to that...then I put on a load of laundry, went back for more, the kids came home from school, we each had one and literally before my husband could walk in the door from work, the pan was half gone. That, my friends, is the mark of a good lemon bar. I don't devour every dessert with such verocity.

The great thing is, this particular recipe isn't too sweet, isn't difficult to make and is such a crowd pleaser. You might just need to whip up a pan for the weekend, though they'll be gone by this evening...

Lemon Chess Bars (from Cooks.com)
1 box lemon cake mix
1 egg
1 stick of butter, melted

Mix together egg, cake mix and butter. Moosh into a well greased 9x13 pyrex pan orrrrr, you can put it in two smaller pie plate sized pans and give one away (mere suggestion here).

Topping:
2 eggs
8 oz. softened cream cheese
3 1/2 cups of powdered sugar
1 t. vanilla

Blend together the eggs, cream cheese, vanilla and sugar with a mixer - we don't want cream cheese clumpys - this needs to be a smooth consistency. Pour over the top of the crust and bake at 350 for 30-35 minutes. You want the topping to be well set and a light golden brown.

Allow it too cool, cut it in to slabs (errr, squares) and enjoy one (or half the pan - I won't tell).

Have a great weekend - I'm off to explore a new cinnamon roll recipe, have homemade pizza for dinner and enjoy a boat load of quality family time.

Don't forget to go to church on Sunday!
CC

1 comment:

  1. I've always made these bars with yellow cake mix instead of lemon and they were called regular ol' Chess Squares . . . I bet lemon would be great! You're right, these are so good and everyone seems to love them!

    ReplyDelete