Friday, March 11, 2011

Long forgotten dinner rolls.

Well I have to say, I've missed you guys! This past week I've been burning the midnight oil working on a week long Teacher Appreciation event at my sons' preschool. I've baked up a storm, made party favors, put together gift bags and delivered cheer, all in an effort to let 28 amazing preschool staff members know what incredible people they are. It's been rewarding, exhausting and delicious. I have a few fun recipes to share that came out of this week, and I'll post those this coming Monday.

In the meantime, I have a funny story to share with you. A few weeks ago, Rhodes frozen dinner rolls went on sale. With my expert couponing tactics, I got about a boatload of bags for $.25 each. Honey, I can't make 'em cheaper than that so I loaded the freezer. I've never had this brand or even tried a frozen-to-oven method, so the adventure unfolds.



I pulled out 7 little dough rounds, each about the size of a golf ball and put them in a pie plate to rise for the recommended 3 to 5 hours. I thought I'd just put it all in the oven, a nice draft free place that suddenly turned into the sea of forgetfulness. I didn't remember I put those silly rolls in there for days! Last night it hit me. I have dough in the oven.

Opening the oven door, the expanded dough had more than quadrupled in size, no longer remotely resembled rolls and completely filled the pie plate. I decided to bake this massive dough business anyway to see what would happen.



HA! They turned out great! They were light and fluffy and melt in your mouth good. Apparently I need to lose my mind and forget my dough more often.

Here's an after shot. The plate is now empty as we sliced them into wedges, slathered them with butter and made them dissapear in no time. Thankfully this mishap still turned out tasty.



Have a great weekend and we'll chat soon!
CC

2 comments:

  1. Days!?!?! And you ate them!?!?! Congrats. I surely would have thrown them out thinking they were bacteria-riddled. Not that they WERE of course, but I have food-phobias. Glad it worked!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep! Two days and they were covered with plastic wrap, so I figured why not? We allow normal bread to rise for crazy amounts of time, what's two days in the span of eternity? :) And at that high baking temp, if anything was there, it was zapped away. Life on the edge. :)

    ReplyDelete