Friday, April 1, 2011

The Simplicity of a Strawberry


We're quickly approaching Strawberry Season, as evidenced by the lowered prices and better sales. I can't wait to gather the family and go picking at a huge strawberry patch near our home...but we're still about a month away from the truly local fruit. In the meantime, I purchased 3 containers from the grocery store (who can resist Buy one, get TWO free!) and we have been enjoying them allllll week long.

I've found these red juicy bites of fun to be a wonderful addition to breakfasts and lunches - just slicing them and letting the kids eat them plain. It was also a perfect side dish to a quiche I made for dinner the other night. And for dessert...vanilla bean ice cream with fresh sliced strawberries on top. I haven't had to add even a pinch of sugar - they were ripe and naturally sweet.

To go a bit more schmancy, I also made Strawberry Pochettes - a strawberry filled pastry cookie from Melissa D'Arabian. She actually fills the pastry with Nutella - which I must try after I get past my strawberry kick. I filled mine with strawberry preserves.

I just can't get enough of this delicious berry. We won't talk about the fact that I ate 6 of them without blinking. Here is a picture of the cookie display before I ate 6 of them.



Enjoy your weekend and don't forget to go to church on Sunday!
CC

No comments:

Post a Comment