Tuesday, May 3, 2011

It's Frappacino Time!


Good Day Friends! I'm sitting here munching on Reece's Pieces and had to share some fun beverage news with you.

Starbucks just announced May 6-15 is Half Price Frappacino Happy Hour from 3-5pm! I immediately marked my calendar so I can feast upon my favorite beverage weakness: A Carmel Frappacino with Extra Whip.

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, I can taste it now. I'm such a savage when it comes to these drinks, I pop off the top and lick the carmel drizzle off the inside of the lid so as not to waste any of the sweet gloppy goopy goodness.

Now, for those of you not willing to foot the bill of a store bought frappacino delacacy, not to worry! The copy cats at Food Network developed a contraban version and published it for you 'do-it-yourselfers'!

For a Mocha Frappacino (which is a close second to my beloved Carmel) here is the inside scoop:

For the Coffee Ice
3 T. sugar
2 C. warm strong coffee

For the Chocolate Syrup
2/3 C. sugar
1/2 C. unsweetened cocoa powder
1 oz. milk chocolate - finely chopped
1.5 t. honey
1/2 t. vanilla extract

For the Frappe
1 C. reduced fat milk
Whipped Cream for the amazing topping.

Make the coffee ice by stirring the sugar into the coffee until dissolved, then let it cool. Pour into an ice cube tray and freeze until solid (around 3 hours).

Make the chocolate syrup by combining the sugar and cocoa powder in a saucepan and slowly whisking in 2/3 cup of hot water. Bring to a simmer over medium heat, whisking until all of the sugar dissolves - 3 to 5 minutes. Do not boil. Remove from the heat and stir in the chocolate, honey and vanilla until smooth. Transfer to a bowl and refrigerate until cool.

Make the frappes by pureeing 8 coffee ice cubes, 1/2 cup of milk, 1/3 to 1/2 cup of chocolate syrup and 1 cup of plain ice in a blender until smooth.

Pour into 2 glasses and top with whipped cream and more chocolate syrup.

Enjoy my fellow foodies!
CC

No comments:

Post a Comment