Thursday, June 16, 2011

Buttermilk Baked Mac 'n Cheese


I'm on a buttermilk kick of late. I bought a quart of it, only needed a cup of it and am now fixing additional recipes that incorporate buttermilk so it doesn't go to waste. So far, I've made cupcakes, ranch dressing that was so good I want to haul off and drink it and some delicious Buttermilk Baked Mac 'n Cheese.

It fixed this recipe with very low expectations. Many of the recipes I've tried have had a considerable addition of steps from this one and it seemed a bit too easy to be marvelous. The fam was pleasantly surprised and we have gobbled it to our hearts content.

Here's whatcha need:
3 c. cooked elbow macaroni noodles
2 c. grated cheddar cheese (I use extra sharp since it has such a good bite)
4 T. finely (and I mean FINELY) minced onion
1 c. buttermilk (let this get to room temp please)
1 t. pepper
1/4 c. butter
salt to taste
A greased 2 quart casserole dish. Ready? Ready!

How to fix it:
Grate two cups of cheese (it has a better taste than the pre grated) and mince up your onion to microscopicness.


Once you have boiled and drained your noodles, to that very same stockpot, add in all of the above ingredients (less 1/2 c. of the cheese).



How easy is this? Now pour it into your greased casserole dish and bake it uncovered at 375 for 30 minutes.




Once you pull it out, sprinkle the remaining 1/2 cup of cheese on top and put a lid on your dish to trap the heat inside and allow it to melt the cheese on top and then serve it up! The buttermilk gives it a richer taste than regular milk and combines well with the sharp cheddar to give you a tangy bite of amazingness.



Enjoy!
CC

2 comments:

  1. I think this recipe looks really good! I'm even thinking that you could assemble it and then freeze it, taking it out to bake at a later time. Maybe make two and freeze one? Thanks for the recipe!

    By the way, I read a tip lately that said if you don't use up all of your buttermilk, you can freeze it in ice cube trays. Then you can pop out the cubes and keep them in a freezer bag to defrost as needed. I almost always make my own buttermilk but it never turns out as good as the store bought buttermilk. This recipe makes me want to get some and try it out, then freeze the leftover. Guess I need to buy ice cube trys!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Amy! I've never tried freezing mac 'n cheese before, hmmmm. I wonder if it would work? Worth a try! Thanks for the tip on freezing the buttermilk - I have a few ice cube trays from my baby food making days. I need to pull them out. :)

    ReplyDelete