Monday, June 27, 2011

Caterpillar Cake!



This weekend we celebrated my youngest son's 2nd birthday. I decided early on in life that I was not a 'cake' person and so there really wasn't a maternal need in me to ever bake and decorate a cake for my children - I could always lean on the creativity of a bakery or ice cream cake creation. That was, until I had children of my own. Suddenly, it was as though I had a quest set before me to come up with totally adorable cakes that I made myself and decorated so that my children would remember and enjoy talking about them in the years to come.



Granted, I'm still not a cake person; give me a pie or torte or something crazy and decadent. But I certainly gained tremendous satisfaction out of creating this cute little caterpillar for my favorite two year old...and by the looks of it, he did too.



How did you do it CC? How DID you do it?? Well, it was time consuming, but simpler than I thought. I baked 4 individual round cakes in oven-safe capuccino mugs and iced them with a star tip. The orange dots are reece's pieces. I made the eyes out of white chocolate and milk chocolate. The antenna's are fun curly candles and the orange lips are two orange starbursts. How fun is that? Happy Birthday Denton!



Have a delicious day!
CC

4 comments:

  1. Thanks Amy! We enjoyed it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That cake looks phenomenal. So wonderful and it looks like your son was SUPER pleased to eat it.
    I have to strip my kids down too when they eat things like cake...just saves on the laundry.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Rachel! I appreciate your kind words - the cake was a huge hit. :) Thanks for taking the time to read my blog.

    ReplyDelete