Friday, June 3, 2011

Easy Peasy Caprese


The tastes of Summertime are among my favorite. Fresh vegetables from the garden or local Farmer's Markets, grilling out, homemade ice cream. There's nothing finer. I stopped by one of my favorite Farmer's Market Stands the other day and bought a bag full of red, ripe, fresh juicy tomatoes and have been serving Caprese Salads with almost every dinner this week. So good, so easy - here is my version of this summertime staple:

Ingredients:
1 large tomato
Fresh Mozzarella Cheese (or a big block of Sargento if you're in a bind)
A handful of fresh basil (thankfully we're growning our own)
Parmesan Cheese
Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Balsamic Vinegar
Salt and Pepper
Cheez-It Crackers

Directions (makes two servings)
Slice the tomato into 6 slabs and put 3 per plate
Slice the mozzarella to the same thickness as your tomato slices and place them on the tomatoes. Salt and pepper the tomatoes and mozzarella. Rough chop some fresh basil and sprinkle it on top. Then, add a few tablespoons of olive oil and a few tablespoons of balsamic vinegar to the top. I love to grate fresh parmesan cheese on top and throw on some crushed Cheez-It crackers for the grande finale.

It looks like a delicious mess, and tastes even better.



I couldn't pass up fresh zuchinni as I was picking out my tomatoes, so last night I sliced 3 of them and sauteed them in olive oil with half of a chopped onion. Since the parmesan cheese was sitting there staring at me, I added some to the top of each serving and had a blissful dinner. The caprese salad and zuchinni went perfectly with my buffalo chicken squares.



Stop by your local farmer's market or roadside stand for some delicious treats to get your Summertime flavor on too!

Enjoy the weekend!
CC

No comments:

Post a Comment