Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Shish Kabobs!


One fun way to grill out in the Summertime is by making Shish Kabobs. Not only are they fun to say, but are fun to eat, healthy and delicious! At the beach this past week I made chicken kabobs and tonight I'm making steak kabobs. Grab your favorite veggies and hang out with me for a bit - I'll show you how to make this dazzling dinner in no time flat.

Whatcha Need:
Wooden or Metal Kabob Skewers
Italian Salad Dressing
3-4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
Your favorite veggies (yellow squash and zuchinni, mushrooms, onion, cherry or grape tomatoes, red yellow or green pepper all work great and hold up well while grilling)

How you make it:

Right after feeding the kids breakfast, I cut up the chicken into bite sized pieces and throw them in tupperware with a sealable lid and into the frig alll dayyy lonnnnggg after dousing them in whatever oil based Italian salad dressing I have on hand.



After playing super mom all day, it's time to make dinner. Much like the chicken, I cut up the veggies in bite sized pieces and pull out my skewers. Some people like to soak their wooden skewers in water while cutting up the veggies so the wood doesn't burn when you put it on the grill. Just a helpful tip for those who remember that step. I often overlook it and they still turn out just fine.



Now that everything is chopped, resist challenging your son to a duel involving kabob skewers and begin sliding chicken and vegetables onto the skewers in random order. I drizzle more Italian dressing over the entire skewer at this point - so the veggies don't feel left out. Once you have a hearty stack of beautiful kabobs - call your husband into the kitchen for the plate and have him use his manly grilling skills to dazzle and amaze even the faint of heart.



I serve these over Sutton Rice and the crowd goes wild!

Now I mentioned fixing steak kabobs for dinner tonight. I have an amazing marinade from my friend Kasey, who fixed this for dinner one night and I went stark raving mad until she handed over the recipe.

Steak Kabob Marinade:
1/2 c. soy sauce
1/4 c. vinegar (I use apple cider vinegar)
1 T. olive oil
2 T. brown sugar
2 T. minced onion
1 minced garlic clove
1/2 t. ground ginger
1/8 t. pepper

Combine all the above ingredients and this is good for 2 pounds of steak. My marinade was fixed this morning after feeding my children cupcakes for breakfast. It looks like this:



And then I cut up the steak (sirloin is a good cut of meat for this) and it's happily marinating away in my frig as we speak and looks like this:



Can't wait for dinner - have a great day!
CC

No comments:

Post a Comment