Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Figs wrapped in Proscuitto


I've wanted to make this little recipe since I found it in a cookbook I purchased last December. I've had to wait all these lonely months in longing, and yesterday was my day. My friend HPS gave me a BASKETFUL of beautiful ripe figs and I sped to the store to buy the accompanying ingredients.

Black Mission figs are small and sweet and full of flavor. I rinsed them off, lopped off the stem and scored the top with an 'X' to place the treasure of goat cheese inside. The sweetness of the fig pairs so well with the tangyness of the cheese. From there, I wrapped each fig in proscuitto - a salty, cured Italian ham that is sliced paper thin. Securing it with a toothpick...I was ready to roll!



All of my beautiful figs were placed in an olive oil lined dish and baked at 350 for 15 minutes. The proscuitto crisps up, the goat cheese does this magic melting act...and what pops into your mouth is a bite of happiness. It's sweet, salty, tangy, rich - amazing and addicting to where you forget you've eaten 14 and still reach for more. Here's the 'just pulled it out of the oven' view:



Go buy figs, make this recipe - wow your family, friends, neighbors, guests of all ages - just MAKE THEM. You'll be so glad.

Figs. I love them. I now want them constantly.

Have a delicious day!
CC

7 comments:

  1. YUMMMMMMMY! That looks like a party in your mouth indeed! Will try pronto. If you feed Max, one of those babies, he'll pick them for you everydAY!

    ReplyDelete
  2. If I go to the store and buy you some, will you make them for me?? Just kidding. Yummo! These look great. I'm not sure that my kids would be into these, but who cares? I'm all over them!
    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope you enjoy them as much as we did - they disappeared pronto! I bought honey flavored goat cheese and it was amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These were really, really good. I didn't expect the carmelization at the bottom - what a nice surprise! I only made 6 the first time because I wasn't sure if I would like them (goat cheese and proscuitto - what was my hesitation?). I immediately ate all 6 and plan to make a boatload with dinner tonight. This is a healthy fruit side dish, right?
    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Whooo hoooo! Glad you enjoyed them!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh heaven! I just made these for no reason other than curiosity (and gluttony... this was an afternoon snack!). Amazing. Thanks for enlightening me!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Aren't they crazy good?! So glad you tried them!!!

    ReplyDelete