Thursday, August 18, 2011

Fried Green Tomatoes


I've been enjoying the abundance of delicious tomatoes that spilled out of my father in law's garden this year and this past Saturday marked a sad day. The tomatoes were done for the season. All that remained were a handful of green tomatoes that refused to ripen.

I seized the opportunity to pick those green jewels and set out to make one of my favorite southern dishes - Fried Green Tomatoes. My first experience with this delicacy was in Charleston, South Carolina at the Sweetwater Cafe. One bite and I was in love. The tangy green tomato was perfectly encased in a fried cornmeal crust and I ate so many, a bottle of Tums quickly followed as fried foods are only my friend in careful moderation.

Since the Sweetwater Cafe is a 4 hour drive, I taught myself how to make this delicious dish and wanted to share it with you...should you find your tomato garden in a similar plight.

Ingredients
2-3 medium sized green tomatoes
2-3 eggs
1/4 cup of milk
1/2 cup of white or yellow cornmeal
1/4 cup of parmesan cheese
salt and pepper to taste
canola oil
sour cream
lemon slices
hot sauce (texas pete)

How to concoct the green tomats:
Prepare an egg wash by mixing together the eggs and milk in a bowl and set aside. In a separate dish, combine the cornmeal, parmesan cheese, salt and pepper.

Slice your tomatoes to 1/2 inch thick rounds. Place the tomatoes in the cornmeal mixture to coat on both sides.



Then dip it into the egg wash.



Then give them another dip back into the cornmeal.



Now you can carefully place them in a skillet of canola oil. I put about 1/4 of an inch of oil in my frying pan.



Fry 2-3 minutes on each side until a nice brown crust forms. Drain on paper towels.



I serve with a squeeze of lemon juice and a dollop of sour cream. A dash or two of hot sauce adds some kick if you're in the mood as well.



These can be served as an appetizer or side (or breakfast if you're a nut like me).

Have a delicious day and signup for my picnic basket giveaway if you haven't already!
CC

No comments:

Post a Comment