Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Marriage Proposal Chicken


Years ago, before I met my amazing husband, I was paging through an old church cookbook of my mom's. A recipe for Chicken Cordon Blue caught my eye when the I read the following phrase: "I fixed this for my boyfriend and 3 weeks later he proposed."

You can bet your bottom dollar I was hanging on to THAT recipe! I tucked that one in my back pocket and dreamed that I wouldn't die an old maid - hoping this recipe was my ticket to marital bliss.

When dating my husband, I realized he was THE ONE, my perfect match - so I pulled out the recipe and gave it a whirl - hoping for a ring to follow. For those of you who know me, the recipe indeed worked! I have been happily married to the man of my dreams for almost 9 years.

So here is your ticket to success friends - I hope it works for you as well! :)

Ingredients
4-5 chicken breasts, pounded flat
4-5 pieces of deli sliced ham
4-5 slices of mozzarella or swiss cheese
Lots of toothpicks
1/2 stick of butter
1 cup of flour
1 cup of water
1 chicken bullion cube
1/4 heavy cream
4-5 T. minced onion
Salt and Pepper to taste


Pound the chicken flat and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Place a slice of ham and a slice of cheese on each chicken and roll it up jelly-roll style and secure it with toothpicks so it won't unroll as you cook it. I would take pictures of this, but my hands were covered in chicken and that does not bode well for picture taking santitation.

Coat each roll with flour and brown all sides in a skillet with 4 T. butter.



Remove chicken, add in minced onion and saute for a few minutes.



Add water and chicken buillion cube to onion.



Return chicken to the pan and simmer for 30 minutes - you want to ensure your meat is cooked all the way through so your prospective fiancee doesn't get food poisoning and change his mind. :)



After 30 minutes or being thoroughly convinced the chicken is completely cooked, remove the chicken once again and add the cream to the sauce in the pan. Whisk it all together, let it boil until it thickens.



Serve your chicken with rice or noodles and spoon sauce over it. It pairs nicely with a salad and side vegetable and is a WOW dish. (Don't forget to remove your toothpicks!)



Can't you just see that diamond solitare sparkling on your finger as you try this?

Have a delicious day and don't forget to send me an invite for the big day!
CC

No comments:

Post a Comment