Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Pizza Cupcakes!


This past weekend we celebrated my son's 5th birthday at Chuck E. Cheese. I admittedly had reservations about that location as it tends to make you want to have a nervous breakdown with 80,000 kids running around, loud stuffed characters singing on a stage (that purple thing that plays the keyboard still freaks me out), and the games and pizza and overall insanity...did I really want to sign up for this?

But one gaze into those 5 year old crystal blue eyes and I couldn't say no. I opted for an early time slot so parents could get on with their lives...er, day. So from 9:30 to 11:30am, we had probably one of the best, funnest birthdays yet. There was hardly anyone else there at that hour, so the kids got to play on all the games without a wait! I even got to get in a round or two of skeeball and a good time was had by all.

Chuck E. Cheese will handle the cake too, but seriously, ME allow a commercially baked cake at my son's birthday? Who are we talking about here? Of course I was baking this treat. (Ask me this on an off day, I'll have a completely different answer). Since the kids were dining on pizza, I thought it would be fun to bake cupcakes and decorate them like mini-pizzas on top.



I made a buttercream frosting, dyed part of it red to make the 'sauce' and added cocoa powder to the rest to make the ring of 'crust'. The cheese was grated white chocolate and the pepperoni and green peppers were fruit roll ups. To add an extra step of flavor, I also filled each one with strawberry preserves. It's just fun to bite into a cupcake and find a tasty surprise of goodness.

I ate 3 and spooned down most of the leftover icing without guilt. They were adorable and delicious!

Have a delicious day and we'll chat soon!
CC

8 comments:

  1. LOVE it! I am doing cupcakes for a Chuck E. Cheese party. I couldn't decide what to make so I might do this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I was pleased with how they turned out. Let me know what you decide to do - I'd love to see pics.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Caleb just pointed to the screen and said, "Those are good!" Two thumbs up from this 5 year old!

    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yayy! So glad we got the seal of approval. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. SOOO cute!!!! What an awesome idea!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. ok. yes, those are stinking cute. Glad you posted cuz I didn't get this detail from the party girl! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks! AP refused to eat the green fruit rollups. :)

    ReplyDelete