Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Ricotta Cake


Thumbing through a cookbook, I came across a recipe for a Ricotta Cake. I adore Ricotta filled Cannoli's and it's a MUST for lasagna, so I figure putting in a cake must be good too.

The ingredients were simple enough, so I went to town; fixing one for me and one for my new neighbors that I needed an excuse to invite to church.

I started by taking a yellow cake mix and mixing it according to the directions on the back. Then, I poured it into a greased 9x13 pan.



Then, I mixed together 3/4 cup of sugar, 2 pounds of ricotta cheese, 4 eggs, and 4 teaspoons of vanilla by HAND to avoid the ricotta from breaking down too much.





This was poured on top of the cake mix and spread in an even layer.



I baked it for an hour and in that time, it did a magic act where the cake mix rose to the top and the ricotta mix made a nice middle layer. So cool. I refrigerated it for an hour before serving and then cut it into squares, topped with a powdered sugar dusting.



The taste is a subtle not too sweet almost breakfast/brunch cake. If you enjoy Ricotta cheese, it's a tasty treat.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm eating leftover Jambalaya that I made last night and need to drink a gallon of water before I start breathing fire. I got too excited when it came to the seasoning and there might be hair growing on my chest right now. Gracious it's hot stuff.

Have a delicious day and we'll chat soon!
CC

No comments:

Post a Comment