Friday, December 9, 2011

Cheez-It Encrusted Chicken


Greetings friends! I'm munching on Peppermint Bark while juggling my to-do list, wrapping gifts, chauffering my children, helping them learn the lyrics to their Christmas program, figuring out when we're going to get our family Christmas photo taken for our cards, putting away the laundry, vacuuming, attending choir rehearsals for our church cantata (this weekend) and praying that the mahi tacos I have for dinner turn out as good as I hope. Anyone there with me?

It's the most wonderful time of the year and I am in the full throws of holiday cheer, while trying to keep my head above the eggnog, err, water.

We've been living on quick fix meals that I can make several of at a time so that when I've got gift wrap coming out my ears, I can run to the freezer and thank the Lord for a meal that will be ready in 30 minutes to the tune of 350 degrees. One such wonder is a Cheez-it cracker encrusted chicken that received rave reviews from the fam.

It's so easy and I've literally had the recipe since 11th grade (good 'ol Home Ec. class really had some winners!). The exception was, we MICROWAVED this in 11th grade and it was nowhere as good as the version I have below. Such a hideous error. Baking is key. Let's fix it!

Ingredients
3-4 chicken breasts
Cheez-it crackers
1 stick of butter
salt and pepper
1 c. shredded cheddar cheese

Take 3-4 chicken breasts and cut them into large cubes.



Next, crush 1 1/2 cups of Cheez-it crackers, and melt a stick of butter. Keep in separate bowls.



Take a chicken cube, dip it in the butter (who are we kidding here? I make no low-fat claims in any of my recipes). Then roll in the bread crumbs before placing in a greased pyrex dish. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.



Bake at 350 for 25-30 minutes and top with grated cheddar cheese 2 minutes before pulling it from the oven.



Honey, this is so good you can't even imagine! Pair it with some creamy mashed potatoes and a side salad and have yourself a merry little Christmas. The great thing is, it also freezes beautifully so you can pull out that extra pan in a pinch!

No comments:

Post a Comment