Wednesday, January 11, 2012

California Calzones


I love taking the road less traveled on a familiar dish. Calzones are super easy to make and I filled them with gourmet goodness for a delicious change.

Initially I made my own dough for the calzones. Two hours later, I told myself that NEXT time, I was going Pillsbury Pre-made pizza dough all the way. Easier, quicker and just as good. When you have time constraints, pre-made saves the day. So go buy a tube of pizza dough and we'll get started.

Ingredients
Pizza Dough
Olive Oil
6-8 thin slices of Proscuitto
Goat Cheese Spread (Or a basil or pepper goat cheese log works as well)
1 Tomato, sliced


How to Make Them:

Roll out your dough so you have one large flat surface. Divide this into 6 even rounds. Flatten each round and brush it with olive oil. Take your (no, I forgot to take multiple pictures, I'm sorry) Goat Cheese Spread and smear several tablespoons of it on a piece of proscuitto. Roll up the proscuitto and set it on the dough. Add a slice of tomato (salted and peppered) and fold the dough over to make a half moon. Smush down the edges so nothing can sneak out during baking.

Bake at 350 for 15ish minutes, or until the dough is turning a light brown.



I served these with side salads and they were a wonderful meal. The calzones were light and full of flavor and the tomato added a freshness that was a nice change to a traditional marinara sauce.(Note, while my children's palates aren't quite adjusted to the amazing tangyness of goat cheese, I made their calzones the traditional way with marinara sauce, pepperoni and mozzarella cheese). Everyone was happy. :)

Enjoy!
CC

No comments:

Post a Comment