Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Skeptical Sweet Rolls


Well, my morning started off with an adventure. My two year old lodged a blue peppermint tic tac up his nose and was hysterically upset about it. It was a 10 minute process, but we conquered the tic tac and we can all return to our regularly scheduled programming. Life is never dull in a house full of boys! Now on to breakfast...

A dear friend gave me a recipe she'd grown up on. A delicious over night sweet roll recipe. I looked at it and frowned. It had butterscotch pudding listed as an ingredient. I don't like butterscotch pudding. She assured me there is no end result of butterscotchiness, so I gave them a whirl.

These rolls basically make themselves - you just layer the ingredients and then the magic happens.



Let the Skepticism Begin!
9 Frozen Dinner Roll Dough Balls (I used Rhodes)
3/4 c. chopped pecans
2/3 c. brown sugar
1 small package of Butterscotch Pudding (do not use instant)
1 stick of butter

Line an 8x8 square pan with foil (you'll thank me later). Sprinkle pecans over the foil.



Place the frozen dough in nice little rows and sprinkle with the brown sugar and pudding mix.



Dot it with butter. I love butter. Not margarine. Butter.



Cover it with plastic wrap you've sprayed with pam.



Now, here is where I got skeptical. (And you thought it was the butterscotch pudding!). The original recipe calls for you to refrigerate them over night. Magically they will unthaw from their frozen state and rise into fluffy goodness so that when you wake the next morning, all you have to do is place them in a 350 degree oven for half and hour. Right? WRONG!

I tested the theory and the next morning, the dough was every bit as frozen as when I made it the night before. Soooo, I left the pan covered and let the rolls rise in a nice warm climate for 2 hours, uncovered them and THEN baked them at 350 for 30 minutes.



The result is a buttery carmel pecan sweet roll tray of amazingness that you invert onto a plate and peel the foil from. It's ohhhhh so good and a fixer againer (without the overnight nonsense). You set them in the middle of the table and stand back as your family lunges towards them and gobbles them in minutes.




Enjoy!
CC

No comments:

Post a Comment